High Action Guitar

oteikwufrancisanyebe5
oteikwufrancisanyebe5
05/20/2022 9:33 am

Good morining. Thank you for all you do. I've really learned a lot following you guys. I bought a guitar with an action that was quite high and I used it for long. I couldn't tell that my guitar action was high because I'd never played guitar before; my guitar was my first and only. Well it was until I came across another one and it felt so easy and light on my fingers. I kept my guitar aside for a while and kept on practicing with this other guitar and I discovered that my playing improved a lot more faster on this other guitar. I still like my guitar though because it's my first and I eventually had to return the other one to its owner. So my question is this, can I fix my guitar action myself? Or will it be possible to take it to a guitar shop, add a little money and then get a new one? I didn't add taking it to a professional to fix because there aren't so many of those around here. Thanks

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/20/2022 2:36 pm
Originally Posted by: oteikwufrancisanyebe5So my question is this, can I fix my guitar action myself?[/quote]

Possibly. What kind of guitar so you have? Some guitars are easier to work on than others. And some high action problems are easier to deal with than others.

Also, I encourage you to post this question in the Guitar Tech forum.

https://www.guitartricks.com/forum/threads.php?f=30

[quote=oteikwufrancisanyebe5]Or will it be possible to take it to a guitar shop, add a little money and then get a new one?

That's also possible. The only way to find out is to ask the local shops if they take trade ins.

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
davem_or
Full Access
davem_or
Full Access
05/21/2022 1:50 am

Your guitar shop should have at the very least enough knowledge to know what needs fixing and the work involved. If they sell guitars it would be bad if they couldn't at least do that. I would also hope that either they or someone they work with could do the work.

# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.