View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/22/2022 5:41 pm

Congratulations on completing GF1!

Originally Posted by: Violanted

I have difficulties to switch between them . . .

If I practice using metronone at 45 bpm it's fine 55 bpm I start to make mistakes and not able to keep on tempo I try to increase the Tempo every time I try.[/quote]

It takes every student a different amount of time & practice to do any given skill.

For some students it helps to solely focus on the specific physical motions of the chord change. Try it for part of your practice routine.

Don't strum chords in time with a song or to a metronome. Just play each chord once. Pick any 2 chords.

Play a C chord once. Focus on getting all the notes to ring clearly & cleanly. Stop.

Switch to a G chord. Again focus on finger placement & clear notes. Play it once. Stop.

Repeat.

Try different chords. Try sets of chords that are found together in a song. But don't try to play them in time. Just focus on the physical motions required to get from one chord to the next, playing each chord just once.

Originally Posted by: ViolantedI am looking for ability to change at 70 bpm and more but to be able to do that I must be so fast that I will have not to think about the chord itself and just change automatically the same way I do with my piano

Yes, it's the same principle. You have to automate the process so the physical motions are completely second nature. So, you only have to think, "C chord" & your brain, hands & hours of repetitious practice take care of the details!

[quote=Violanted]Stangely enough on GTF2 on the Arpeggio training I am able to switch chords in a much faster way and it seems I can do the arpeggio in a much more clean way than changing chrods as whole. Why is that? arpeggio should be more difficult isn't?

Most probably, as Snojones correctly noted, you have the leisure of extra time getting each finger into place. Whereas with strumming you need to have every finger in place immediately for the change!

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory