Stuck

Gino0603
Gino0603
05/16/2022 9:25 pm

Hi all,

Ive been playing for 3 years now and tried many lesson plans. With the internet now we are lucky to have so much choice in lesson plans but the downside is i switch alot. Now going trough the fundamentals again because i had the feeling that i rushed them the first time. What my problem really is is i want to learn songs. But cant figure out what songs fits my skill level and i like a wide variety on styles depending om my mood. I like metal, rock , blues even some pop songs.

Most songs i begin with i never finish because they are either to hard or not inspiring enough. Also got the feeling that with the spare time i have dabbling in so many styles wont get me anywhere. Does anyone else have the same problem feeling kind of lost.

# 1
JeffS65
JeffS65
05/17/2022 3:40 pm
Originally Posted by: Gino0603

Hi all,

Ive been playing for 3 years now and tried many lesson plans. With the internet now we are lucky to have so much choice in lesson plans but the downside is i switch alot. Now going trough the fundamentals again because i had the feeling that i rushed them the first time. What my problem really is is i want to learn songs. But cant figure out what songs fits my skill level and i like a wide variety on styles depending om my mood. I like metal, rock , blues even some pop songs.

Most songs i begin with i never finish because they are either to hard or not inspiring enough. Also got the feeling that with the spare time i have dabbling in so many styles wont get me anywhere. Does anyone else have the same problem feeling kind of lost.

Definately take time to learn songs. Here at GT, when you go to the songs pages, select the 'Sort & Filter' amd you can filter by genre and difficulty.

With that said, you'll want to balance between having fun playing and challenging yourself. So that means you should look both for one song that you can just jam through and another that you need to spend time working on.

Way back when I was in a band, I had more fun playing AC/DC-Whole Lotta Rosie than I did playing Dokken-Tooth and Nail. And I have long been a George Lynch fan but the primal jam aspect of Rosie was just plain fun.

The point is you shouldn't pick songs because you may think it's going to help you with some aspect of your playing (and I'm not suggesting you're doing this) but look for songs that you'll enjoy. Songs that, when you're you're a listener, make you want to play guitar.

You don't have to have focus on one style. That's no biggie. You just have to find songs you want to play. That are fun to play. At some point you don't care if it's hard or challenging, you'll want to work through that to learn the song.

The first songs I learned were wayyyy above my paygrade at the time. But I wanted to play so I worked through it.

Just some thoughts.....

# 2
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/17/2022 4:38 pm

Now going trough the fundamentals again because i had the feeling that i rushed them the first time.[/quote][p]That's a good idea for a refresher. What is your skill level? Can you play all the basic open chords? Barre chords? Single note lines for melodies, riffs, bass lines to connect chords? Those are the basic skills you will need to play most songs.

[quote=Gino0603] What my problem really is is i want to learn songs. But cant figure out what songs fits my skill level and i like a wide variety on styles depending om my mood. I like metal, rock , blues even some pop songs.

JeffS65 gave you the best advice: take the time to learn some songs that inspire you.

[br]Your best bet here is the Made Easy option.

https://www.guitartricks.com/songs/beginner

Most of these songs are simplified versions using open chords with some barre chords (which you are going to have to learn eventually anyway). If there is a section with a single string melody, riff or part that is too difficult for you, then:

1. Substitute something simpler. Just play a simple chord that represents the part. But play it in time.

2. Skip it & count to keep time until you can jump back in. That's great practice for timing, too.

I did this many times when I was learning to play. I would gradually add parts as I learned new techniques & improved my skill. I encourage all my students to do it!

Don't let it stop you that you can't play every last part in the whole song.

Play along with whatever you are able. Substitute something simpler to keep playing in time with the song. But it's absolutely essential to get used to playing a whole song form in time all the way through. It's how you develop your sense of rhythm, how you memorize the sections of the song (the song form), who you develop a repertoire of songs you can play.

Start now, pick a song, learn a way to play through the whole thing. Have fun!

Hope this helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 3
Sasha-B
Full Access
Sasha-B
Full Access
05/17/2022 5:44 pm

I have been there, and still go there on occasion! I have been playing four years or so.

To get out of this rut, I have had to just focus on one song, using the grading system that GT provides, and following the video in order. It is painful because I want to learn right away, but I am now able to play a few songs all the way through.

I will mix it up with the "Four Chords" app by Justin Guitar as they tend to be easy songs, chords only.

Hope this helps!

Hi all,

2021 Iris CH

2021 G&L ASAT Classic Tribute

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.