Pick Vs Fingers

gregmchir
gregmchir
05/03/2022 2:05 pm

This is a question that gets asked a lot I came across this video on you tube by Snooks Eaglin playing Johnny B. Goode The video is a bit grainy Watch at about the 34 second mark for a closeup of his playing He doesnt use a pick and his playing is phenomenal Also watch around the 2 minute 3 second mark

Johnny Winter only used a thumbpick and his fingers and there are many others that dont use a pick Mark Knopfler , Derek Trucks ,Albert King , Robby Krieger ,

If adding these videos is not permitted I apologize I just thought Snooks eaglin did such a great job on this song

Snooks Eaglin Johnny B. Goode

# 1
DraconusJLM
DraconusJLM
05/04/2022 4:52 pm

Great things can be achieved using a pick, fingers, or a combination of both.

I've noticed a lot of the notes in the solos are being played with his fretting hand - hammer-ons and pull-offs.

Great playing; shame about the video quality (it would have been good to see in more detail just what is happening with his playing)

I wish this forum had a "block user" feature. Possibly I'm not the only one......

# 2
snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
05/04/2022 10:35 pm

There are many guitarist that use their fingers or Hybrid Picking. Jeff Beck is total fingers now. He gave up using a pick years ago. Joe Bonomasa is a Hybrid Picker. Both are exceptional in both tone and speed. It really comes down to your choice of how to pluck those strings.

Captcha is a total pain in the........

# 3
DraconusJLM
DraconusJLM
05/05/2022 8:01 am

I'd completely ignored hybrid picking until coming here. Now I'm close to being able to play pretty much anything I could Travis pick (which I've been doing for decades, on and off).

Being able to switch between fingers and thumb, fingers and pick, or just a pick opens up so many options to not only what you CAN play, but also HOW you choose to play it. (Hybrid Doom Metal, anyone????)

I wish this forum had a "block user" feature. Possibly I'm not the only one......

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.