View post (Pianist learning guitar: any tips?)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/03/2022 6:52 pm
Originally Posted by: adoser93

I'm pretty sure I can learn all the basic chords on my own and really hammer home getting used to smoothly changing on these basics. From there I'd love some advice on how to advance my technical skills beyond knowing like 10 chords.

[p]This is going to depend on your specific musical goals. While the underlying music theory (intervals, scales, chords, functional harmony, etc.) is the same for any given style, the specific technical skills can vary greatly from genre to genre.

For example, the physical technique required to strum open chords for pop-rock songs on an acoustic are different from the fingerpicking skills required to play Travis picking or classical style. And those are extremely different from the skills required to play SRV style blues licks, for example. Or 70s classic rock tunes. Or jazz chord melody like Joe Pass or Tommy Emanuel.

I can point you in the right direction regarding GT content. But it's going to be much more precise advice if you provide some specific goals such as types of techniques, styles of music or even specific artists you desire to emulate.

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory