Longtime finger style guy trying to learn to jam

Rumble Walrus
Rumble Walrus
03/30/2022 10:55 pm

Hi Mike - I'm a longtime Travis & finger picker (singer/songwriter type of thing) that bought an electric and signed up for Guitar Tricks to learn how to jam. I'm working my way through the rock course and have tapped individual lessons (i.e. bending) on other GT courses. Loving it. Love the songs, etc. I can play a number of songs by rote.

I know the fretboard pretty well and understand music theory (years of piano) but, in truth, I suck at jamming. I can fake it a bit, but I'd really like to jam better.

Any thoughts on a good groove track to jam to and perhaps your thoughts on lessons that will build jamming skills?

Thanks!

# 1
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/31/2022 1:06 pm

Hey there - welcome to GuitarTricks!! Glad you're loving it so far.

A few suggestions for you:

1) Work your way through this tutorial collection "Learning To Improvise". This will give you some solid direction to up your jamming skills.

https://www.guitartricks.com/collection/learning-to-improvise

2) We have a ton of great grooves to jam along with in our Jam Station:

https://www.guitartricks.com/jam.php

3) I highly recommend checking out our Blues Course. Specifically, check out the Lead Guitar chapters, as Anders regularly teaches some licks and approaches, then haves you jam along with him at the conclusion of the tutorial:

https://www.guitartricks.com/course.php?input=blues1

https://www.guitartricks.com/course.php?input=blues2

Let me know if you have any questions!

Mike

Originally Posted by: Rumble Walrus

Hi Mike - I'm a longtime Travis & finger picker (singer/songwriter type of thing) that bought an electric and signed up for Guitar Tricks to learn how to jam. I'm working my way through the rock course and have tapped individual lessons (i.e. bending) on other GT courses. Loving it. Love the songs, etc. I can play a number of songs by rote.

I know the fretboard pretty well and understand music theory (years of piano) but, in truth, I suck at jamming. I can fake it a bit, but I'd really like to jam better.

Any thoughts on a good groove track to jam to and perhaps your thoughts on lessons that will build jamming skills?

Thanks!

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 2
Rumble Walrus
Rumble Walrus
03/31/2022 10:30 pm

Thanks so much Mike! I've gotten by long enough on attitude and good looks

I'll jump in and get back with you if I have a question.

Got to say - your fast response (and that of your colleagues) is awesome and reinforces that I chose well with GT.

# 3
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/01/2022 12:37 pm

Excellent!! Have fun with it, and I'm here when you have any questions.

Mike

Originally Posted by: Rumble Walrus

Thanks so much Mike! I've gotten by long enough on attitude and good looks

I'll jump in and get back with you if I have a question.

Got to say - your fast response (and that of your colleagues) is awesome and reinforces that I chose well with GT.

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 4
edithb
Full Access
edithb
Full Access
04/22/2022 10:49 pm

HI there.

You probably are a more accomplished player than I am, but your background sounded very familiar to me. Also years of piano, love and understand theory. Went through the fundamentals and fingerpicking tutorials on GT.

Recently went through Anders Mouridsen's Blues Tutorial. I agree with Mike (below) that you would find a lot of helpful material in that tutorial.

I just learned (and naturally need to practice, practice, practice) Mike's beginner lesson on the Midnight Special. The lick is easy to learn (of course, harder to play cleanly) and the chords could be used in any blues song played in A. 8-bar or 12-bar, etc. Any tempo.

All of Mike's suggestions below are great.

It sounds like you're having fun delving into Guitar Tricks. Such a great resource.

# 5
Rumble Walrus
Rumble Walrus
04/22/2022 11:06 pm

Thanks edithb!

I'm just now finishing up Ander's Blues 1 and looking forward to Blues 2. Lots of fun! I'm also looking at some of Christopher's blues licks lessons.

Since you recommended it, I'm going to try the Midnight Special. Thanks edithb!

# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.