boom chick strum with fingers

gregmchir
gregmchir
03/26/2022 8:04 pm

Hi when I started guitar tricks . I played the beginner songs that were laid out in the courses and used my fingers like caren armstrong . I also strummed in this fashion I found it less noisy when practicing at 6 in the morning Is it advisable to play Folsom prision blues like this and build up speed or use a pick . For the beginner songs this worked but for a faster tempo it is more difficult I am also at about half the speed I should be

# 1
aliasmaximus
aliasmaximus
03/27/2022 12:55 am

Hey Greg, because you're a full access member you can pose your inquiry directly to the instructor by posting this question in the "Ask Mike Olekshy" forum. That way, he'll definitely get back with you on this matter.

As long as you're not concerned with reproducing the original sound of the song as Johnny played it, I see no reason why you shouldn't fingerpick this song. Fingerpicking speed increases should translate roughly into speed increases with the pick. You can slow down the playback by using the speed tabs to the left of the video screen. Don't worry about speed. We all want to play faster. It just takes time.

Nicolai

# 2
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/27/2022 3:21 pm
Originally Posted by: gregmchirIs it advisable to play Folsom prision blues like this and build up speed or use a pick

Both! :)

Also, consider that for faster tempos you need less motion, or more efficiency of motion. Instead of strumming with your fingers, try a simplified Travis picking approach.

1. Play bass notes with your thumb using a minimal downstroke (toward the floor).

2. Play upper chord tones on higher strings with your other fingers using a minimal upstroke (toward the ceiling).

Very important: do not strum! Keep you fingers in position hovering over the strings. This will help a lot for control & accuracy. It also allows you to keep your picking palm slightly planted on the strings near the bridge which can help minimize sound as well.

Anders demonstrates basic Travis picking here.

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=29323&s_id=2495

You don't have to do all of that stuff. Just work on getting your thumb & fingers to do a basic root -chord motion.

I do a similar technique in some of blues tutorials. Watch my picking hand here.

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=14236&s_id=1079

Having said all that, learning root-chord strumming with a pick is also useful. You might consider making time in your practicing for that as well.

Anders & other instructors do a lot of root-chord, or boom-chick strumming that you can learn from. This tutorial of mine is more focused on a rock rhythm apporach. But I focus on the minimal picking motion that can be applied in other music styles.

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=19312&s_id=1492

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 3
gregmchir
gregmchir
03/28/2022 5:34 pm

Thank You Nicolai I should have thought of that

# 4
gregmchir
gregmchir
03/28/2022 5:56 pm

Thank You Christopher Schlegel

That is great advice I tried it and I can get more speed .Thank You for the links as well lots of great information there . It is better to practice both I was just worried about noise level I can also probably use an electric guitar not plugged in for those early morning practice sessions

Since live concerts are risky at the moment I have subscribed to stingray which has a lot of concerts . One of these is the Highwaymen Waylon Jennings uses a method on an electric guitar similiar to what you describe. He does however use a pick on melody notes which he has concealed between his fingers I don't know how he does it without fumbling

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.