Breakneck Beginner

rmowens1977
rmowens1977
03/15/2022 9:10 pm

Greetings Everyone,

I'm really glad to be here! I know that guitartricks has a lot of options and I have a lot of Interests, so it's probably a perfect match (genres I'm primarily interested in classic rock, classic metal, nu metal, alt Rock, punk rock, and post-punk rock... Basically anything rock and roll).

I dabbled in Guitar when I was about 8 and then again when I was about 15, but never stook with it for longer than a month or two (probably less when I was 8!). Anyway, now I think I (finally) have the patience and commitment to stick with it. Looking forward to learning a lot and chatting with fellow players!

Rock on,

Rob

# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
03/16/2022 6:30 pm

Hey rmowens, thanks for joining us! We hope you find a great community amongst other members in the forum. Don't forget, you can reach out to instructors in the forum as well, should you need any assistance. Best of luck on your guitar playing journey!

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2
aliasmaximus
aliasmaximus
03/17/2022 8:08 am

Hey Rob, welcome aboard. As someone who's quit guitar more times than I can count, I feel confident in warning you that approaching guitar as a "breakneck" sprint will almost certainly result in a lot of bad habits, mounting frustration, and ultimately just another episode of throwing in the towel. Everyone here wants to learn as much as possible as fast as possible. Fortunately, most have learned to see this instead as an enjoyable unending jog through the park. In the end, that approach will get you to where you're going much faster, even if it seems excruciatingly slow at first. I suggest you start with Guitar Fundamentals 1 & 2, and don't rush it. Best of luck in your journey.

Nicolai

# 3
lanier.wk
lanier.wk
03/18/2022 11:14 am

Hey Rob. I too am new and get frustrated at the speed of my progress. I guess slow and steady is good. It is really forcing me to be patient with myself. We will get there. I am doing this guitar trick thing and also have a teacher. The teacher has me deep into music theory right now and it is boring, but I can see the need to know the stuff. I am just ready for my fingers to do what I want them to do and quickly. LOL Good luck to you.

# 4
aliasmaximus
aliasmaximus
03/19/2022 8:30 am

Remember that the learning curve for learing guitar is not linear. For a myriad of reasons having to do with neurological, physical, mental and psychological factors that are different for every guitarist at every level, you will sometimes move ahead quickly and at other times slowly. Getting through Guitar Fundamentals 1 & 2 can be brutally slow at times, I know - but trying to push through the lessons too fast will almost certainly result in failure, or at least a lot of bad habits that you'll then need to unlearn. And there's nothing more frustrating than that.

I know from personal experience that much of the frustration associated with GF happens when it's time to play along with the instructor to a backing track. It often seems impossible to keep up, at the given rate. Remember that there's nothing dictating the need for you to play as fast as a professional guitarist, which both Lisa and Anders are. Use the playback rate tabs to the left of the video screen and slow it down to a point where you can get something constructive done. Also, no need to maximize your speed before moving on to the next lesson. You can always come back and work on speed after you finish the course.

Nicolai

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.