View post (Chord progs for songwriting.)

View thread

Funkman
Funkman
02/05/2003 12:19 am
Wow! That's really detailed and helpful. I just have two more questions...

1) If I also want to write solos, intros, melodies, lyrical lines, etc. to go with the chords I'm using, how do I work out what notes/scales to use?
For example: Say I'm using the Aminor - Eminor - Fmajor - Dminor chord progression for the verse, then go into the Eminor - Bdiminished - Aminor progression for the chorus. I want to add a basic melody for the 2nd guitar to play over the chords. So how do I write a melody that can be play continously during the verses that will fit with the chords?
Also, say for the bridge I want to do a solo? I do I do this? Is there a particular scale.
I understand this is very involved, but is there a way to explain it simply? I know a couple of scales (major and blues), but don't know how to integrate this with rhythym guitar...

2) I've noticed that some rythym and/or lead guitar uses "chords" that have only two notes in them. For example, here is the tabs I have for the main riff of the Joy Division song "Love Will Tear Us Apart"...

MAIN RIFF
e]-------------------------------------
B]-------------------------------------
G]-9------11---12---11---9---7-4---4-2--
D]--7-------9----9----9----7---5-2---2-0--
A]-------------------------------------
E]-------------------------------------

What type of "chords" (if they are chords) are these? What chords progs/scales/theory do I need to know to get these. I like the sound of this because it's not as heavy and busy as chords, but lusher sounding then just single notes.
Here is another example, the intro to "Iron Man" by Black Sabbath:

INTRO
-------------------------------------------------------- (e)
-------------------------------------------------------- (b)
-------------------------------------------------------- (g)
-4----7---7/9----12/11---12/11---12/7----7/9------ (d)
-2----5---5/7----10/9----10/9----10/5----5/7------- (a)
-------------------------------------------------------- (e)

The Main Riff's use the same sort of two note melody. It seems that these are just power chords without the octave note? How do I work out progressions for power chords and the type of "chords" like those in the Joy Division and Black Sabbath song?

Thanks very much in advance! This is really helpful.

[Edited by Funkman on 02-04-2003 at 06:24 PM]
Give me Leonard Cohen afterworld
So I can sigh eternally