View post (Chord progs for songwriting.)

View thread

noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
02/04/2003 6:29 pm
Thanx man. :) Glad to help. About "love will tear us apart", hears what I can tell you. The song is pretty much based on that one single melody, which is in E minor. A good thing is that it's a very simple melody. Here it is broken down:

(copy and paste this to notebook so you can see it)
Em7 A5 Bm A
D:------------------------------------------------------------|
A:--7--7-7--7--7-9--10-9--7-5--2--2-2-2-2-2-5-0--0-0-0-0-0-5--|
E:------------------------------------------------------------|

Ok, now I'll break it down and explain how it is understood.
The first chord, the Em7 which is the root chord of the E minor key. The "7" that is added is an extension to E minor chord "E G and B". The "7" just added "D" to the chord. This is very common, and you will always find it somewhere. The "D" in this case is only there becasue the bass and strings are both playing D. The melody just plays along with the root of the chord.

The next chord in the progression would be A5, which is there because of the string part and bass holding the "D". The melody just continues in the key of E minor. The A5 chord is just harmonizing the melody, so there's no need to change the key of the melody.

The Bm chord is there because of the bass still ringing out D and the strings playing a D along with the B in the melody. The 5th of B is left out, but for the obvious reason of making it sad. Just the minor 3rd of B accomplishes this.

The last chord which is the A is there because the only note that is played is the A. Bass and strings are both playing A, and the only exception is the D just before beginning the melody again. The D is actually a suspension of the A, which wants to go back to the E again. Its there to make the jump from A to E again more smooth, especially in the melody. This can be a very useful tool when you write little melodies. The idea is playing the note before to get to the next note, like this case playing the D to get to the E.

The Big Points that make this melody particular sad sounding is one, the fact that is moves down in pitch. It only moves up to strenghten the E(with the little melodic passage), then is goes down and down again. Another thing with that, is that the progression of the notes in that melodic passage are small, only 1 or 2 notes up or down. Also, the fact that it is kinda slow makes a big impact on the feeling of the melody. Slower tempos make more emotional music, especially sad stuff. Last, and something that I addressed in the previous post, it's in the Minor Key and the chord progression is made up of ALL MINOR CHORDS. Em7 - A5(which is minor) - Bm - A(which is minor too).

Also, in the build-up in the beginning. Here is the chord that is being played. It is also the chord played throughout the song.

E:-----
B:-----
G:--0--
D:--2--
A:--2--
E:-----

If you are planning on writting a song like this one, the best advice I can give you is learn how to play such songs. This will help you alot in understanding how such songs are played and written. Plus the more you learn, the more ideas you will have. I think I covered everything on how to play it. Also, learn the minor scales, even harmonic and melodic, to increase your range of writting these emotion type of tunes. Good Luck!
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.