View post (Is Just Learning To Play Songs A Better Way To Go)

View thread

olivecorduroy
Full Access
olivecorduroy
Full Access
03/01/2022 6:44 pm

Hello All,

So I have been trying to learn how to play guitar off and on for about ten years now...I'd pick it up for awhile, get pretty good, get discouraged, and then stop for periods of time...and this process has repeated itself repeatedly...

[br]I have managed to play open chords and strumming patterns proficiently...the same with power chords...but through all of this, I have never learned a single song...all I've essentially done is practice chord changes over and over...I guess you could say that I'm a technician...don't get me wrong, I've gotten good at the limited things I've practiced but for me, there has to be a better way than for me to just practice the technical stuff over and over...

So this time around I thought I would just learn songs by using what I already know and by just building on that by learning songs...essentially viewing a song as a project and seeing it to the end until it is complete...a way to establish a goal with the intent of accomplishing it...I'd take a couple of songs to work on...one or two that are similar in nature that are within my reach with what I know...and one that would be a long term project that would challenge me...in my case it would be a couple of the AC/DC songs that use open power chords and Hells Bells as my long term project...

I've heard that we are learning to play guitar to play songs...am I right with my approach this time around?