Guitar position

jayyy
jayyy
02/27/2022 4:39 am

Why do most of the people I see playing or teaching guitar sitting down play with it sitting on their right leg and the neck slanted forward almost like they are holding a shot gun? Is that realy a better position? because I cannot get use to it and feels less ideal than the "classical" position espectially when moving up the neck.

# 1
aliasmaximus
aliasmaximus
02/27/2022 5:54 am

Hey jayyy,

I believe it's simply a matter of preferences. I'm short and right-handed. I rest most guitars on my elevated right leg when seated. However, when I play larger guitars (Dreadnaught to Jumbo) it's much more comfortable to rest the guitar on my elevated left leg, mostly because of an exaggeration of the "shotgun" positioning that necessarily accompanies the playing of larger guitars.

There are a lot of physical factors that go into determining what position is right for any individual. Such as a person's height, body build, abdominal girth, joint injury, arthritis or deformity, spine flexibility, arm length, bony deformities, etc. Then there's preferential chair height and optional use of a foot elevator.

So, I don't believe there is such thing as a universally correct technique for holding a guitar, sitting or standing.

Nicolai

# 2
ddiddler
Full Access
ddiddler
Full Access
02/27/2022 10:24 am

you've probably answered your own question.

We copy what we generally see. Ergonomically it will be better to position the guitar more to the left.

Put your left hand out in to a comfortable fretting position and place the guitar to the hand.

We tend to do the opposite position the guitar and see how we can reach with our fretting hand.

I only play for myself, in a seated position, so after much experimentation I play with the guitar rested on my raised left leg but more between the legs in what I think people describe as cello legs .

It keeps the feet , hips and shoulders more square and protects against strain injuries from any more twisted positions.

But it is very individual and what suits best

Dave

# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/27/2022 3:46 pm
Originally Posted by: jayyyWhy do most of the people I see playing or teaching guitar sitting down play with it sitting on their right leg and the neck slanted forward almost like they are holding a shot gun? Is that realy a better position?[/quote]

In general you should aim for the most comfortable position that allows you to play in a relaxed & efficient manner.

As to what you observe other guitarists doing, I think a few thing factor in. Often sitting is the best way to ensure a good, stable video recording. You are less likely to move around & get out of the framing position if you are sitting in a stationary seat.

However, if you are used to playing while standing (in order to perform), often the guitar lays more comfortably on your torso in a position that makes the entire fretboard easily accessible to your hands & your picking hand fall naturally near the bridge. In order to make that position work while sitting you move the guitar body more naturally to your picking hand.

Otherwise you wind up stretching your fretting hand way too far to the left & your picking hand across your torso to meet the guitar instead of holding the guitar to meet your hands. Make sense?

The style of music also factors in. Most rock, blues, pop players are using guitars that work well on a strap hanging on your torso. And they are expected to stand on stage & walk or run around while entertaining. And the music itself requires bending strings, barre chords & other techniques that work best when you are able to hold the neck away from your torso for more leverage & access.

You will notice classical players almost always sit. They are expected to sit & focus on the music & not jump around in order to entertain. And that style lends itself very much toward the classical sitting position for best playability. Jazz players also. And when they do stand with a strap, you will often see them hold the guitar neck up quite high & picking position to match the sitting position.

I usually have my strap set at a height that works for either sitting or playing.

[quote=jayyy]because I cannot get use to it and feels less ideal than the "classical" position espectially when moving up the neck.

You should do what works for you! Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.