View post (Old hippies never die.... I hope)

View thread

aliasmaximus
aliasmaximus
03/18/2022 6:08 am

Hey Airborne, sounds like you have the right idea. I did Guitar Fundamentals 1 & 2 with both Lisa and Anders. Originally, I got bogged down trying to perfect each lesson before moving one. That's a deathtrap. With the help of many members and some instructors here at GT I came to realize that I needed to relax and just do the tutorials adequately and keep going. I also started learning some of the easier songs from the library here and that really helps make things a lot more fun.

Once I finished GF 1 & 2.... I did them again, but skipped over the stuff that I'd more or less mastered and worked on the lessons that I had trouble with the first time around. Having finished up GF 1 & 2, I'm now simultaneously doing a couple of the advanced tracks in the curriculum (Rock & Blues). Once in a while I get tipped about other appropriate tutorials, like learning the CAGED system of chords (sounds like that one would be for you).

So, I'm essentially meandering around, sampling the wares a bit more, and I'm amazed at how much better I'm getting in all areas: technique, playing songs, timing, theory, reading music, learning chords, licks, riffs, etc. Honestly, I've come further in a few months than I'd expected to get in a few years. Even so, it doesn't happen as fast as I'd like. I guess that's pretty much the case with everyone here.

I hope that I've answered your question at least in part. If you have any specific questions about my musical safari here on GT, I'd be happy to try answering them for you.

Wishing you the best on starting in on a long wild ride.

Nicolai