Which Martin would be best for learning fingerpick

emerydt
Full Access
emerydt
Full Access
02/16/2022 12:53 am

I'm looking at buying either a used Martin DRSGT or a Martin DM. Right now I'm using a Martin DX1RAE and it's nice but I believe these other models to be a step up. I'm really a biginner (half way through fundamentals 2) and I plan on learning fingerpicking next. I'm probably over my head when it comes to choosing a decent guitar but right now I have an opportunity to buy one of these Martins at a really good price. Any advice on which model I might choose, the DM or the DRSGT? Thanks.

Tom

# 1
emerydt
Full Access
emerydt
Full Access
02/16/2022 2:35 am

Maybe I should just be asking if anyone can tell me the difference between the Martin DM and the DRSGT.

Tom

# 2
Rumble Walrus
Rumble Walrus
02/17/2022 11:49 pm

Wow - an excellent dilemma! I don't think there's a bad choice here.

As a note, my current finger picking axe is a Fender acoustic costing around $200 bucks.

I'm genuinely interested your your final choice.

# 3
aliasmaximus
aliasmaximus
02/24/2022 5:05 am

I've played both the Martin DRSGT and Martin DM in guitar shops a while back. To be honest, I couldn't tell the difference between them acoustically. They both looked nice and played nice, especially for the price. As far as construction goes, I can't remember what type of wood they were made of, other than both having a spruce top. In any case, it's like Rumble Walrus said, you have "an excellent dilemma" on your hands. However, I'm not sure whether Martin still makes those models. Where did you find them?

I learned fingerpicking on a nylon string classical guitar. You can get a really decent one for the price of the Martins your looking at. The nylon string is great for beginners because the strings are softer and strung at a lower tension, and therefore easier on the fingers of one who hasn't yet built up tough fretting finger calluses. They're also easier to pluck. The only drawback to that is that it will take some getting used to if and when you switch to a steel string guitar.

Nicolai

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.