G Major Versions

ScottF2022
ScottF2022
02/15/2022 6:53 pm

Why are so many versions of G taught? In Anders fundamentals course, he teaches the index finger on A string, middle on high E, and ring finger on the low E string. But then in his Acoustic course, he teaches middle finger on A string, ring on Low E, and pinky on high E ( I think this makes it easier to switch between C and G chords, but it's very difficult to control the pinky). If that's not confusing enough, I've also seen a four finger G with the ring finger on the B string and pinky on E string. Shouldn't we learn just one version and get really good at it?

# 1
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
02/15/2022 8:47 pm

I haven't taken his course but what you describe is what I do:

Ring finger on 1st string 3rd fret

Index on 5th string 2cnd fret

Middle on 6th string 3rd fret

If you can pull off the 4 finger G using the pinky it darkens the sound a bit. It's tough to do though and I never mastered it.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 2
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/16/2022 12:54 pm
Originally Posted by: ScottF2022Why are so many versions of G taught?[/quote]

2 reasons.

1. There are many different levels of student ability, from absolute beginner, to intermediate, to advanced. Each student has their own particular set of problems when learning guitar. Some students breeze right through simple chords, some struggle for a while. Some breeze right through basic open chords, some struggle. Same for barre chords, inversions, extended harmony chords, etc.

Different options for different students.

2. There are many possible ways to voice any given chord on the guitar. It's good to get used to that idea as soon as possible.

[quote=ScottF2022]

Shouldn't we learn just one version and get really good at it?

If you only ever intend to play one voicing & it works for your musical goals, then that's absolutely fine. And yes, you should get really good at however many you will find practical to know & use.

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 3
ScottF2022
ScottF2022
02/16/2022 1:10 pm

Thanks Christopher, that does make sense. Since my original post, I've been working hard on the version with the pinky on the E string.....and much to my amazement, I'm now able to do it! Now I'm embarrassed for whining! If I've learned anything about the guitar, it's that consistent practice and patience pay off eventually.

# 4
DraconusJLM
DraconusJLM
02/17/2022 12:41 am

Here's another version of fingering a G major open chord:

Middle finger on 2nd fret of the A string; ring finger on 3rd fret of low E string; pinkie on 3rd fret of high E string.

If that seems to make no sense, try it switching from open G to open C at faster tempo/speed.

I wish this forum had a "block user" feature. Possibly I'm not the only one......

# 5
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/17/2022 2:43 pm

You're welcome!

Originally Posted by: ScottF2022

Since my original post, I've been working hard on the version with the pinky on the E string.....and much to my amazement, I'm now able to do it!

Good deal! Yes, consistent, purposeful repetitious practice is the only way to get better. Keep practicing!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 6
Rumble Walrus
Rumble Walrus
02/17/2022 11:32 pm

Knowing different versions of chords is really improving my lead playing - especially as you move chord positions up the neck.

When you're forming a chord, each of your fingers is sitting on a chord tone. Even if I'm not smart enough yet to immediately name which tone it is, my ear tells me that the note "fits" . I can noodle around where these fingers sit and build - admittedly simple - lead runs. But it's music to me ;)

# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.