Pedal Board power supply question

Waddas77
Waddas77
02/11/2022 8:48 am

Morning all.[br][br]

I'm looking for some advice regarding power to pedal boards.

I currently have a cs7 and due to recent silliness need to run 9 pedals with a total of 514.2 ma. [br][br]

They are all centre negative and 9v inputs. 5 digital and 4 analogue.

I see my options as follows..

1. Get a new power supply which will accomadate all 9 separately ( followed by a costly divorce)

2. Buy an extra individual supply (Boss PSA) and along with the one I already have power two pedals individually and the rest through the cs7 ( pros - I get to stay married and not get kicked out)

3. Use the PSA to power my looper and run the rest through the CS7 daisy chaining two analogue (MXR distortion and MXR phase 90 total 14.2ma) through a 200ma output and two digital (Landlord banging hangover and Boss DD3-T total together 170ma through a 500ma output. (also leaving me happily married)

All thoughts gratefully received!

Thanks in advance

# 1
DraconusJLM
DraconusJLM
02/11/2022 12:10 pm

You can run more than one pedal from any of your existing power supply outputs (although I'd avoid mixing analogue and digital pedals, as sometimes the result can be random unwanted noise).

I'm currently running 11 pedals from a CS6 power supply, and this includes an Iridium which needs it's own 500mA output, on a "go anywhere" pedalboard.

I basically soldered up a few leads with one plug to go into the PSU which then splits into two leads to connect to two pedals. I also made up a little box with one power input and three outputs (which is basically a three-way power splitter).

You can buy a variety of splitter power leads or daisy-chains (I'd recommend no more than three on a daisy-chain, personally, but I've seen setups using 5 with on issues).

Have a look on youtube for tips. There are lots of different videos showing how you can safely power multiple pedals from one output. The main thing is not to overload any single output, otherwise your pedals won't work correctly and there's also the potential to damage something. You also need to make sure the total power drain of your pedals doesn't exceed the power supply's maximum output.

Sorry, I can't help with the "spend versus marriage" issue - my wife doesn't seem to mind that my second pedalboard is populated with, and powered by, Strymons - I suspect she views it as part of my mid-life crisis and cheaper than a red sports car and mistress :)

I wish this forum had a "block user" feature. Possibly I'm not the only one......

# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.