View post (Best fingers to use for fast legato runs)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/03/2022 8:15 pm
Originally Posted by: nick_leonHowever, this teacher was telling me to use my middle finger and third finger where I can as they are stronger fingers and more accurate and to only really use the little finger when needed or if it's a pattern that is like frets 5 6 8.[/quote]

Using your ring finger instead of your pinky is especially helpful in a rock context because quite often you will have to do a bend with the highest fretted note. And having your ring finger ready on that fret is efficient.

I think what Slash is getting at about using your ring finger instead of your pinky in that music context is that it's easier to apply any kind of vibrato control with other fingers. Once you put your pinky on the string you hinder your hand's range of motion for vibrato or string bending. Also once you are on a roll with the pentatonic boxes using index & ring fingers, it's often easier to just keep plowing through with those fingers instead of switching it up.

[quote=nick_leon]I guess my question is, should I practice 2 fret stretches with my middle two fingers instead of sticking to the finger per fret rule?

Practice it both ways. Then you'll be ready for any musical context.

The fundamental principle is to play with the most natural, effcient motion to make you playing as smooth & relaxed as possible. Starting with one finger per fret is a good standard to start with. But when it hinders your playing, then disregard it. Switch to whatever different fingering makes that musical passage easier to play.

I cover this issue in this tutorial on 3 note per string patterns.

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=929

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory