View post (Need info on hammer and pulloffs [frustarted])

View thread

aliasmaximus
aliasmaximus
03/20/2022 5:12 pm

Hey man, I'm sorry that you're having such a rough frustrating time with this. I think maybe it would help if you took a step back and ask yourself why in god's name do you want to do anything more than a single pull-off. Effectively performing a 8-7-6-5 pull-off maneuver seems like an impossible task for anyone. It's difficult enough to perform a clear audible single pull-off unless you pluck the string with your fretting finger as you pull it off. If you don't know what I mean by this, please watch Anders demonstrating this technique.

Anders is a seasoned professional guitarist and he describes his own single pull-offs as "very faint...but still there". So, if an 8-7 pull-off is almost too faint to hear, then there's no way anybody is ever going to hear you complete the 7-6-5 portion of the 8-7-6-5 operation unless you pluck each note of that progression with your fretting fingers. In which case I would again ask you why....why would you pluck 4 sequential notes with your fretting hand rather than with your strumming hand? Even if a song tutorial did call for a continuous 4-note pull-off (which I've never seen) that's hardly a reason to get hung up there forever. Just [u]don't[/u] do it. Ignore it and move on to play the rest of the song. Don't torture yourself.

Really? A nearly inaudible 4-note continuous pull-off progression in a heavy metal song of all places! If that's really the case with that AC/DC song then it must be there just for show.

In my humble opinion, the only useful pull-off technique is when you combine it with a hammer-on technique, called a trill - where you just keep tapping the same finger up and down on the same fret, like 0-4-0-4-0-4-0-4 or 5-7-5-7-5-7-5. And you already know how to do that. As long as you know how to perform a single hammer-on and pull-off, you can perform a trill. So, where's the big problem that's unconditionally preventing you from enjoying playing songs on this site? You honestly want to quit over that?

Sorry, but we're not going to let you off the hook that easy ;)

I don't mean to make light of your obvious pain but it seems that you are unnecessarily tormenting yourself. Just forget about this particular unnecessary musical tidbit and go finish that AC/DC song already! Unless you're planning on performing that song on "America's Got Talent", there's nothing wrong with just playing the fun parts of the song at high decibels just to cheer yourself up.

Nicolai