View post (Am I Insane)

View thread

JeffS65
JeffS65
02/02/2022 6:28 pm
Originally Posted by: srvpersonal

Your probabl aware of this definition of insanity. Doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result. Well I spent all this afternoon (on and off) trying to learn a new picking pattern for the song; when you say nothing at all. By Ronan Keaton. At time I felt like I was going insane because I kept making the same mistake over and over, mostly because I would lose my place in the song. Does anyone esle have this problem and how do you fix it?

Much appreciated Stephen

So, you're insane. What about the guitar playing though? )[br][br]It does happen to any of us and not anything different than others are saying but isolate that part and drill on it. I've been playing (noodling) Led Zep Black Dog since 1982 and to be honest, because I never drilled it with a metronome or even really played along with the record, I don't actually play it in proper time. Still today. Why? I never bothered to correct it. I mean, I only ever noodle it once in a while for fun so I'm not worried about it and otherwise, my rhythm is pretty darned solid. Don't be like Jeff with Black Dog.

The point is, it's the hard(er) work of drilling a specific thing is where you need to focus. For that matter, you'd mentioned that you get a little lost. To me, it means that you may want to break down different riffs or song sections (ie - verse or bridge etc) and be comfortable with that riff in that section. Then you can click them song Lego blocks together when you practice the song.

Good luck and keep going!