View post (Am I Insane)

View thread

William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
02/02/2022 3:17 pm
Originally Posted by: DraconusJLM

Target the area where you keep making the mistake. Slow down and just play a short section (a couple of bars) before where the mistake happens and then a short bit after.

Do this at whatever speed you can manage without making mistakes, then build up to the right tempo.

Then try playing the entire song.

The route to insanity is repeatedly playing all the way through a piece, reaching where mistakes happen, making the mistakes, then playing on to the end. This wastes time and achieves little

I agree and disagree with this. I agree taking a section and working on it is important, but for me, I have to make the mistakes and continue through the piece if it is going to come together. And it does, as long as I keep practicing. Case in point is any song with a b minor barr chord. But what I read into what Stephen is saying is that he is new to this and getting overwhelmed and lost in the material he is trying to learn and that is when things go sideways, which from my experience is completely normal and works itself out with continued practice.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!