View post (Struggling to focus as a guitarist)

View thread

JeffS65
JeffS65
01/21/2022 9:05 pm

You've got nothing to worry about. Sounds like you've built some skills. I mean, there is a point where you start seeing your ability to play and go 'Oh, that's ok, I guess.' But it's not that 'next level' you want to get to.

For me, starting on guitar was very easy. Too easy. Pretty early, I could play songs that folks usually couldn't play given that my playing time was measured in months.

But then.....

Big, big plateau. In part because I could play stuff reasonably, I just rode that for a while. I had started college and had other 'distractions'. The point being is that to get past a certain level of playing, I had to dig in a little more. I'd learned enough of a song or thing that I could do it ok and others around me thought I was an ok player. Not great, just ok. I could get away with being ok.

So I did. Until one day I really just wanted to have a command of the instument and certainly better than I had been.

Now, for you; you're working hard at playing and my point is not that you just need to try harder. There were a few things that I did that bumped my up a level:

(1) Adopted a drill for physical dexterity. I won't explain it inasmuch as it was something repetitive that I could do watching TV but very much added stregth to my playing. Think about building in Lisa's Spider Fingers routine.

(2) I expanded on my rather cursory understanding of the pentatonic scale and at mimimum, started to figure out (with a little guidance) how major scales, minor and major pentatonics were used. I wasn't a whiz and self-taught so I needed someone to decode it a little bit and was lucky someone did. I also started learning the different modes on the fretboard (beyond major and pentatonic), like Mixolydian and so on. I didn't go deep in to how to use them back then but had a nice map of the fretboard.

(3) I stopped learning songs just to learn to play them. I started learning licks and riffs with an eye to understanding the language behind them. The example I'll always give is; listen to any Lynyrd Skynyrd solo and you have an encyclopedia of blues rock licks. More than just learning stuff randomly, it was learning that music is a language that gets passed down. You start noticing patterns and certain common practices which is useful when you apply it to songs you want to learn or even write.

(4) Ever watch a guitar player have such a command of the instrument that it was otherworldly? I've seen more than a few great guitarists in my day and walk away both inspired and dejected...at the same time! They got to that point by making a lot of mistakes. A lot of time not playing something exactly right but kept at it until they did. With the songs that you've noted, you talked about how you have parts of it down but not all. That next step for you is to go back and work on that. Start with Barracuda. Don't walk away from a song because you got 'most of it'. Work to get all of it. That's what made those great players great. They didn't stop at ok. You know, like I did. Don't be mid-80's Jeff!

The thing is, this won't all be done tomorrow. It will all take time to get there. But two big takeaways is that commit to those things you can't do or know, and also start learning about the language of music and particularly guitar.

How do you 'grow' as a player? First, all the above stuff and particularly that 'music vocabulary' stuff. It's a good way to tie things together. Start understanding baseline info like commonalities in song structures and chord changes and shifts and the like. People like Rick Beato have a lot of material on this as well as here at GT.

So, more guidance to add to the pile. Good luck!