View post (Santana)

View thread

TheDirt
TheDirt
01/31/2003 6:46 pm
I have a really, REALLY, I mean on the shelf for $5 of a tourist trap-type gas station in Atlanta (which is incidentaly how I got it) OLD cd of Santana's (can't remember the name, and I don't have my cds with me, but I think it had like a picture of the sun on it), and the playing is pretty kind of sloppy, and has that unconnected, "I'm just playing every lick I know in this key" feel. His latest playing is way cleaner, but still has that feeling that seems like he's just playing licks. His best time was in between those two periods. I don't think he's overrated very much, because besides him, how many NuLatin-ish guitarists do you know? (you guys probably know a lot of better players and I'm going to get flamed for my ignorance)

btw, I think I'm the most overrated guitarist on the planet.
"You must stab him in the heart with the Bone Saber of Zumacalis... well, you could stab him in the head or the lungs, too... and the saber, it probably doesn't have to be bone, just anything sharp lying around the house... you could poke him with a pillow and kill him."

- Aqua Teen Hunger Force, The Universal Re-Monster