Musical Quests

Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
01/30/2003 7:12 pm
I find it intruging how people approach guitar differently. Without directly learning sweeping, using a metronome, or practising scales ive got to a point where im entirely satisfied with my level.

What do all these mad practice sessions have to do with being able to jam along with brian may and slash to tie your mother down?! Ive written about 6 or 7 riff based songs purely through analysis of a wide variety or bands methods. I can solo all over the fret board using blues, pent, and major scales. I know modes from analysing solos and how they get flavour from emphasising particular notes at particular times.

Put it this way, if you sat a person who'd never played before, showed him the tab of a range of songs, and then asked him to write a song.. i bet he'd do ok. Look at the beautiful symmetry of the tabbed representation of sweet child o mine intro!! Or the progressive pattern to "Welcome home" intro by metallica.

It seems to me too many people stray from what sounds good to what is technically good. Take slash, he never sweep picks, always uses basic common scales in common fret positions and rarely plays barre chords. He has a raw approach to guitar that probably stemmed out of years and years of listening to music as well as playing. Joe perry is the same, he writes awesome solos that are defined by the way he plays notes as opposed to the actual notes, take "dude(looks like a lady)" solo for example.

I was chatting to the guy in my local music store and i was like "hey! youve never heard me play!!", he was laughing at my liking for ZZ top. He said "ok, so can you sweep?"

The sight of slash running on stage and whipping out a killer blues based solo off the cuff along to tie your mother down is way more impressive than standing in front of your pals and doing a few sweeps!

I guess it depend on what stuff your into playing but when these forums are littered with people desperate to "shred" i get annoyed! Its like people who judge how good a driver you are by the fastest youve been!

Later Kriss

PS - Its my birthday today so am prolly just grumpy
# 1
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
01/30/2003 9:28 pm
Happy Birthday first !

You got realy good points in your post ... Slash's solos rule man, and are very hard to copy although they're not fast , and no sweeps or crazy techniques anywhere ... Beautiful guitar playing is mainly dependant on the mind , not the crazy fingers and picking styles.

And yeah , playing some GnR , zeppelin , metallica is more fun than just trying to copy Malmsteen , start a Neo-Classical band & be his next clone.

But this doesn't deny how usefull new techniques (like sweeping) are ... New stuff that could have never been played before on Guitar , now could be played easily ... Just to add, not all shredding lacks soul and beautiful phrases .

Sweeping , tapping ,etc. are just tools to enhance the music or allows to play notes that can't be reached normaly at a certain bpm ... one should not just focus on raising the bpm into max in his songs cuz every song has a certain bpm that suits it most.
Raising the bpm to max is just for practicing , little showing-off at guitar breaks between songs onstage or impressing your friends , and should never be the goal for playing every song.
# 2
canuck7
canuck7
01/31/2003 8:34 am
Happy Birthday man,
i also love to hear those slow passages of metal solos. there are the parts or Randy Rhoads solos that are really slow passages and i love them. he can play really fast and make it sound good but the slow parts are just as beautiful and interesting. and solos that are slow can be just as monumental as the blazing neck-burning solos.
Thanks for listening to this small piece of me.
# 3
u10ajf
u10ajf
02/01/2003 7:07 pm
Happy birthday!
There's a control/speed tradeoff. The slower you play the more you can do with a note, bend, vibrate, harmonics, volume swell, whatever. Play fast and you loose all that. On the other hand melodic lines must be shorter than our attentions spans. This requires that intricate many-note lines may need speed to resolve properly. Having a range of different speeds adds interest, my fave guitarist is probably Satriani, he can sweep,tap, legato like a monster but his slow play is also brilliantly expressive.

If I couldn't laugh at myself how could I laugh at someone less ridiculous?
# 4
educatedfilm
educatedfilm
02/02/2003 2:19 pm
Happy birthday! (are you 20?)

Aiwassis: stop it you little disruptor, :) lol.

Me, I've begun to realize there are serious limatations of being original... I think it was kurt cobain who said it, we might not be original but it's fun to pretend...
My knowledge of bands and artists, is too big to admit to my self (cos i begin to wander about the amount of time that i must have spent listening to crap)...

I'd like to put more emphasis on creativity, and song writing, not living upto heroes, not making money, not gaining those triple platinum sales... Those would be nice additions..
I'm not really a fan or GnR, Malmsteem, Rahndy Roads.. To me it's cheesy, but maybe it's just my musical upbringing... I've only been playing for 2 years.. but I'm shocked at how much music i've picked up...

I'd like to let people hear music to make them think, and not to just watch/ listen passively... put some art into it, because original progressions are in short supply... and introduce a much more open minded aproach to music... I dont mean playing 5 minute atonic solos, but accept that "verse verse chorus verse chorus solo chorus outro" is not the be all and end all of music... I'm also a bit of a lo-fi monkey as well, :D.. (although i'm quite obsessed with technique now, I dont see it being the main pillar of my playing)...
# 5
Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
02/02/2003 4:52 pm
I never asked how to sweep, I asked what it was, and its something i can already do. Its in a few metallica songs etc, so far as doin massive over the top sweeps, I aint interested in that.
Why are some people so competitve here!! Getting smart-arsed about stuff!!
# 6
u10ajf
u10ajf
02/02/2003 6:53 pm
Originally posted by aiwass
Funny.
Wasn't it just a couple of weeks ago that you wanted to know how to sweep? Sounds to me like you gave up...

I wanted to know if how I sweep was the best way, I've practiced sweeping intensively for two years but was struggling with a 10 note, 2+1/2 octave Diminished 7th sweep with a big stretch. I wasn't happy that my hand angle was changing 'cause I read in a classical guitar book that it's better to keep your fingers parralel to the frets.
# 7
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
02/02/2003 7:02 pm
Originally posted by u10ajf
I wanted to know if how I sweep was the best way, I've practiced sweeping intensively for two years but was struggling with a 10 note, 2+1/2 octave Diminished 7th sweep with a big stretch.

You're the man, dude. The man. :rolleyes:
# 8
u10ajf
u10ajf
02/03/2003 5:07 pm
Oh God! Sorry, just realised that sounded really self-important and in-your-face. Actually I'm wrong anyway, it was a Major 7th I think (but it does contain a diminish chord).
# 9
kingdavid
kingdavid
02/04/2003 6:14 am
Is there anything wrong,cliched,whatever,with sweeping?
I don't think so.
With playing blue scales?
Fingerpicking?
What I've come to learn is called "shredding"?
Like it's been said a zillion times before,music is a form of expression.
In whatever form you express your self.
Sidney Sheldon may not like John Grisham's style of writting.Nothing wrong there.Just an opinion.Doesn't mean any or either of them sucks.Or even kicks butt.
Johhny Walker,I'm told,is still walking.
And you,I'm telling you,keep rocking.
# 10
THE_HACK_PACK
THE_HACK_PACK
02/04/2003 7:02 am
I remember Slash brought the Les right out of the case and plugged in for "Tie Your Mother Down,",and he was tuned a half step lower then Brian May.Slash quickly adjusted and played the song in B flat/A#,but ,,where were the techs,engineers,kinda they're job I would think,especially at Wembley Stadium.
CAKE or DEATH????

Ummmmmmm,Cake Please,,Oh,It's Very Nice.
-Eddie Izzard-
# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.