DIY advance pedalbord build (first one) hel

c-nyman
c-nyman
12/11/2021 4:23 am

Hey!

Thank you in advance for giving me some feedback! I would love your help building my dream pedalboard for a home studio scenario, using a looper and/or ableton DAW as the song builder tool. Money is not a problem but expensive is not always better, cheaper can be better!

[br]My needs

1) System of creative templates to inspire new sounds, new grooves

[br]2)Many textures/many tones[br][br]3)EASY/FAST ACCESS to these via midi/switcher

My favorite/top genre

Ambient guitar [br]RnB, soul, gospel [br]Lofi hip hop, chillstep, chill out[br]Singer Songwriter [br]Fingerstyle arrangements[br]Acoustic/electric percussion style[br]Orchestra[br]“World music” culture specific music

[br]My philosophy/thoughts so far.

[br]Always on pedals

- tuner[br]- compressor[br]- overdrive[br]- delay[br]- reverb

The one button pedal(filter)

- octave[br]- booster[br]- volume pedal

Midi controlled presets/creative templets

tone [br]- modulation [br]- delay[br]- reverb[br][br]The heart and brain

- Switcher[br]- Midi footswitch

————————————

SignalChain basics

[br]First in chain

- TUNER[br]- SIM1 XT+ (for choosing tone/sound selected/switching presets from computer and pedal)

Brain/Heart

- G3 Switching system [br]- midi foot controller(extra)

[br]Always on pedal(if it fits the SIM1 preset) in to the G3

- Boss CS-3 Compression Sustainer [br]- Boss DM-2W delay[br]- Boss RV-6 reverb [br]- Nobels ODR-1 BC

One button pedals going in to the G3

- Dunlop Volume pedal x8[br]- Boss OC-3 (octave)[br]- Vertex MKII booster

Midi “preset” pedals going in to G3

- Boss EQ 200 [br]- Strymon Mobius (modulation)[br]- Boss DD 500 (delay)[br]- Strymon Big Sky (reverb)

[br]Questions/tips?

1)Is there any ALTERNATIVES for these pedals you think would be a better/nicer choice for what I’m looking for? What pedal would you REPLACE to fit my needs better? (See start)

[br]2) Signal chain ORDER? I know the signal chain will be different from preset to preset when using a midi switcher but are there any pedals you think fits before/behind the switching system? - Example using the always on pedals in a singnal chain before the switcher?

3) What PEDALBOARD out there could fit this rig or something close to it?

4) What kind of POWER SUPPLY GEAR will be needed for this rig to minimize buzzing/humming?

5) Any tips to make the pedalbord clean and tidy? zippers? buffers? input/output moduals? valcro and so on

6) Can you see a fun way to use the Aero Loop station in this system?

7)What am I missing, what did I forget? Random tips ideas for me from you? :)

[br]Thank you for taking the time to help me out it means very much to me!

# 1
DraconusJLM
DraconusJLM
12/12/2021 12:54 pm

Building the "Dream" pedalboard is extremely personal to what you want/need.

I am not going to give my opinion of what the "answers" to your questions should be, but will offer the following tips.

Having your tuner before the compressor can actually generate noise that the compressor will pick up and add to the mix.

I never have an "always on" selection, as they may not fit the sound you're looking for at whatever given moment.

I've found Strymon power supplies to be the best so far. The downside is they're pretty expensive.

Pedaltrain may make a board big enough to hold everything, but my personal preference is to have two boards. One is "general purpose and happy to take anywhere, including gigging", the other is "stereo and will probably never leave the house". Then there are a selection of separate pedals such as expression, volume and wah.

There is no ideal chain order. Also, midi will not alter the chain order, as all this does on a pedalboard is send control signals.

Unless you already own all the pedals in your list, I would suggest getting to know what you already have before adding your "perfect" next addition as you will probably change your mind several times along the way.

Be prepared to be disappointed from time to time.... a new addition to the ensemble may not give the result you were expecting/wanting.

I wish this forum had a "block user" feature. Possibly I'm not the only one......

# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.