Dm chord

NickFerra
NickFerra
12/04/2021 2:52 pm

I've been playing since I was a teen. I'm 38 now. I still can't play a D minor chord perfectly. My fingers just don't want to make that shape quickly and smoothly. It's rough.

I can practice and practice and it's still hard. I don't even know why.

Is there another option?

Or a cheat or shortcut?

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/04/2021 3:48 pm
Originally Posted by: NickFerra

I've been playing since I was a teen. I'm 38 now. I still can't play a D minor chord perfectly. My fingers just don't want to make that shape quickly and smoothly. It's rough.

I can practice and practice and it's still hard. I don't even know why.

[/quote]

Targeted practice fixes most issues.

Form a D minor chord. Strum once. Stop.

Play a different chord. Pick any open shape: A minor, C major. Strum once. Stop.

Repeat.

[quote=NickFerra]Is there another option?

Or a cheat or shortcut?

Can you play the D minor at the 5th fret as a barre chord easier? It's the exact same voicing on different strings.

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
manXcat
manXcat
12/04/2021 10:12 pm
Originally Posted by: NickFerraIs there another option? Or a cheat or shortcut?

Concise answer? Yes.

I wouldn't dare contradict Christopher out of like, respect & deference to his professional expertise, however watch this for a pragmatic 'hack/cheat' alternative.

I use that modifed fingering of Dm interchangeably the same as I do Justin's recommended modified open form A (maj), traditional open form or single digit forefinger 'Rock A(maj)', progression dependent, but find the modified Dm fingering more suited to my physique when Dm is required than the conventional fingering and thus facilitative to forming the chord to and from progressions generally.

Whilst [u]MPE concurs with what Christopher suggests in general[/u] as the way around most obstacles one encounters learning and playing guitar, including the fingering of or changing from one chord to another applying my personal dictum of perseverence, determination & repetition, there are pragmatic exceptions to the general rule. This is one of them -[u]for me[/u].

By way of specific example, playing "Kiss Me" by Sixpence None the Richer [u]on an acoustic fitted with .12s[/u], my standard fitment go to gauge for acoustic. Although it's inarguably easier to finger the Dm shape higher on the neck when played with a capo in the original's key of D#, I'll frequently play it without in C. People seem to recognise the song without difficulty and accept the different key for love of the tune. A lot like "Love Is All Around" whether played in Trogg's original D or Wet Wet Wet's G.

Playing "Kiss Me" without the (forgotten/absent) capo, even much practised fingering the change from F to Dm in transitioning to the refrain/chorus in particular using traditional Dm fingering I find the more awkward, so I use Dm mod form fingering. Other songs come to mind where I can use either interchangeably, but for most, Dm mod just works better for my individual hand and finger physique most of the time.

[u]Background[/u]. I learned the traditional open form of Dm first FTR, and could form it accurately and quickly enough through repetitive practice methodology that I could play it smoothly in any chord progression before I started playing it the alternative way consequent to its discovery from my own experimentation or by accident if you will. Only years later did I encounter the linked to Dm mod lesson by Justin (only uploaded on 23 March 2020) referencing the alternative I was using sanctioning it with his expert approval filmed subsequent to his much earlier previous lesson on Dm (17 Jun 2009) Although I could 'do', the traditional fingering was never an entirely comfortable chord for me to form switching too and from, in particular in some songs.

Today I can play both the traditionally taught open chord form and alternative fingering, but I find the 'Justin Dm' mod form quicker and easier to finger in almost every progression instance even though it uses the ordinarily less dextrous fourth finger. I put it down to my relatively small hand span, finger lengths, distance between their joints, fleshier tips & shape. I suspect those of ecto build with larger than average hands blessed with lengthy slender fingers won't perceive the conventional fingering any more difficult? As always, the disclaimer, OMMV.

# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.