View post (From scale noodling to melodic musical phrases?)

View thread

paulcavaliere
Full Access
paulcavaliere
Full Access
12/25/2021 11:30 pm

Hi Christopher,

For context, I've finished GF1&2, Acoustic 1&2, learned about 10 acoustic songs (mix finger picking and strumming) start to finish and can play and sing a few too. [br]I'm now just finished Rock 1. I'm also doing your Scale series as a warmup exercise with each session. Almost done with Major Scale Patterns. Plan on Minor Scale Patterns and Pentatonic Major and Minor series as well.

My goal is to play some rock songs with the solo sections (already can play Wish You We're Here including the solo licks, eventually want to get to Hotel California solos as I can now play the chords and sing the whole thing. Yellow Ledbetter, Layla plugged and unplugged to give you an idea of where I want to go, also on my list. Would also like jam with another guitarist (friends much better than me) using improvisation.

I had found it difficult during Rock 1 to improvise effectively. Also difficult to time it back into the song.

I'd like to get better at improvisation and came upon this post. Was thinking of doing the series you mention here before going to Rock2. I'm worried that your series is ranked at 4 guitar difficulty. Do you suggest I go through Rock 2 or your improv series first? Maybe get more out of Rock 2 if I do improv first but may be too difficult at this stage?