Boss vs. Digitech

canuck7
canuck7
01/28/2003 4:46 pm
i have a Boss MT-2 Metal Zone and i love it. but i want to get a Digitech Metal Master. it's a very talented pedal that covers about everything i want a distortion pedal to do.
i'm just thinking what you guys think would be a better pedal to use.
another idea i had was to set one of the two for soloing and the other for some solid,heavy riffing and then switch between the two accordingly.
comment on both ideas if you would please.
Thanks for listening to this small piece of me.
# 1
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/28/2003 6:48 pm
Hey Dude, I think it is “horses for causes” and always try before you buy (though even that can be misleading !).

I had the Boss OD-20 stomp box modeling pedal and I thought it really sucked ! The only pedal that sounded worse was the Boss GP20, which in my opinion, was good for nothing.

Im using a Pod Pro at the moment and a Digitech GNX2 which I really like (I also know some people think both suck !).

My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 2
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
01/29/2003 1:21 pm
The Metal Zone is a realy nice pedal ... May be you need a bigger amp and/or other effects.

I recomend you don't give it up for another pedal.
# 3
canuck7
canuck7
02/01/2003 3:38 pm
i'm not considering giving it up anymore but i want to use them BOTH together to be more versatile with distortions. sometimes i like to use a weedy, feedbacky distortion and sometimes i like a thick, heavy, pummelling distortion. i can get both out of the Metal Zone but the heavy distortion with the Digitech Metal Master is just amazing!!
let's say here's a song:
verse - chorus- verse -chorus -SOLO -etc

but i can get a cool solo distortion that isn't good riff material and vice versa. this is that song again with distortion levels:
verse - chorus- verse -chorus -SOLO -etc
(good) (same) (same) (same)(NO BAD)(good)

notice the solo, not fun in the sun. but if i have both pedals working on different pieces with D-Digitech B-Boss:

verse chorus verse chorus SOLO etc
D (D,maybe B) D D B D

i might change around on the chorus to verse, but if i can get a good riff sound w/Digitech and good solo sound w/Boss than i should use both right?

tell me if you think it's a good idea.
# 4
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
02/01/2003 11:04 pm
Versatility was always a good idea man .

If you try to apply the idea you've just explained , you'll find it hard to switch between different sounnds since you'll sometimes need pressing the two pedals simultaneously, unless you use A/B switch boxes and stuff like that , and as you use more pedals your simple rig will turn into a realy complicated one that you'll probably need diagrams to set it up each time !

I guess what you need is a multi-effect processor which can do exactly what you need and dramaticaly change your tone in real time .
Personaly , I'd recomend Boss Gt-x series or Digitech GNX-x series ... These are the highest quality affordable units .

# 5
canuck7
canuck7
02/02/2003 2:22 pm
could you expand on that a little bit more please? i'm a little confused. if i use two distortions at separate times, are you saying that they will affect each other in some way? if so, how? what are the downsides anyway? i'm only planning on about 3-4 total pedals at one time. i'm only using one now. but i'm planning for the 2 distortions, than a wah and maybe something else. another question, would i need to do anything special with that kind of rig? would simply hooking them one after another work?
# 6
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
02/02/2003 4:20 pm
If they're on & connected in series the'll surely affect each other ... If they're off they shouldn't affect the tone if they have True Bypass but most of the dist pedals I've played with affect the tone slightly when they're off .

Here's my main point... Let's say you have the MT-2 and the MM in series , and you're playing rhythm through MT-2's distortion while the MM is off ... To switch to the MM's distortion ALONE for a specific solo or something you'll need to turn the MT-2 off and the MM on , so you'll need to press both pedals for that which would take some time ... If you're the only guitarist in the band , you're in big trouble dude !

To overcome this problem , you can connect both pedals in series with an A/B box that switch between them... But this way you won't be able to play them both On and in series unless you use other more complicated methods for wiring.
Even if you do so , what if you need to change the settings on your pedal during a song for a specific tone? You'll have to get another identical one with different settings and use the A/B box method.

If you want simple tones stick with pedals , if you want different distrotion types from your gear which you obviously seem to like , go for a nice multi-effect processor that will solve all the problems you have in your mind digitaly without having to go through complicated wiring and expensive stuff you'll have to buy with analogue gear.
# 7
canuck7
canuck7
02/03/2003 1:51 pm
hey good stuff, thanks for your help.
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.