View post (How long does it really take to get good at guitar)

View thread

snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
11/29/2021 3:28 pm

Hate to tell you this, but if you want to be the best guitarist you can be, it will take you the rest of your life.

Music is endless. There is no Finish Line. That fact, is what has kept me interested for decades. I will never run out of things to learn, as long as I keep playing I am growing as a musician. This makes me a better player all the time and that is facinating to me. Most of the good musicians I have known are much the same. Threre will always be more skills to develop, more songs to learn, more jamming chops to master. The people who get good never stop learning new stuff. There is no rocking chair at the end of this joruney where you are finished. If you want to get good at playing guitar, you will be learning for the rest of your life. The people who get good, do so by constant practice and the evolution it leads to.

It sounds like you have good practice habits, place your faith in those skills. Know that the fact that you are still leaning indicates you are on the right path. If you do it right...the learning never stops.

For me there was a place where I stopped thinking about where I wanted to be in the future and just enjoyed the place I was. Once I stopped wondering about how long it would be before I could play like Hendrix, or Page... It got a lot less frustrating. I know that I will never be as good a Beck or Bonomasa, but I am contiually growing as a musician and I really dig it!

In the long term, I would suggest that you try to focus on the journey, rather than some illusive destination. If you need to learn something quickly, playing the radio or the TV will better suit that goal. If you want to have a fufilling lifetime avocation, that will keep your attention with endless rewards, playing guitar could be for you. If playing guitar was easy, everybody would be a guitarist. My best advice to you would be Relax and Enjoy the Journey.... it is an increible and endless. Embace it and soar.

Captcha is a total pain in the........