Gunk on strings

DraconusJLM
DraconusJLM
11/13/2021 11:13 am

I keep seeing posts on here promoting stuff for cleaning and/or lubricating strings, but any time I tried anything like these (and no, it wasn't cheap crap) I just ended up having to change strings sooner. All I do these days is give everything a wipe down with a soft cloth, and my strings last ages. I do recommend using a lube of some kind on bridge saddles and nuts; current favourite being light oil (3 in 1 or similar) on the saddle if metal, and ChapStick on the nut and also on bone/synthetic saddles - really cheap and works a treat, even with big frequent bends (starting to sound like a Carry On film quote....).

Has anyone else found that pricy gunk to cover parts of the guitar are a complete waste, or is it just me?

I wish this forum had a "block user" feature. Possibly I'm not the only one......

# 1
mjgodin
mjgodin
11/13/2021 2:47 pm

I once tried a product by D'Addario called Planet Waves XLR8 String lubricant and cleaner. At $6 I felt it was worth a shot if it indeed did what it claimed, but I did not really notice much difference on the feel of the strings other than making them a little more slicker the first time, but I don't do enough sliding and bending to notice anything major. Also, the can dried up after one use so I threw it away as lesson learned not to buy it again.There may be better products out there, and other peoples experiences may differ, but for that kind of money I might as well just buy new strings. Like you, I just wipe my guitar down after playing and I feel thats enough to remove most of the gunk.

Moe

# 2
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
11/13/2021 5:12 pm

Soft cloth after playing, this once a week; http://thestringcleaner.com/

I also take an electric duster/blower to the neck and pegs once a week.

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.