View post (How to Groove/riff)

View thread

martin.bayly
Full Access
martin.bayly
Full Access
11/23/2021 2:28 am

I came here to ask a similar question, but I guess I'll just comment on your question.[br][br]I've been playing guitar for way too many years and still feel like a beginner and I think a lot of that is because I can't just pick up a guitar and play random cool sounding stuff like all the people you see on YouTube etc.[br][br]I did the GT Rock Level 1 course a few years back and decided to redo it again this year to try and kick start my guitar again. I can learn Beginner/Easy songs and play them OK and I can memorize and play all the practice tunes in Rock Level 1. But I can't "create" which is why I still feel like an imposter.[br][br]But I guess, as others here have commented, it's just about learning all kinds of "bits" and then putting them together in your own way. [br][br]So over the last few weeks I've been trying to force myself to sit down with some simple chord progression backing tracks (GT Jam tracks and Anderton's TV Jam Tracks Vol 1), and just try and apply all the different strumming techniques, sub-divisions, anticipations, arpeggios, embellishments and simple solos from the Level 1 course. I literally look back at each lesson/practice tune from Level 1, and say, OK this time through the jam track I'm going to try and use that strumming technique, and throw in that embellishment, and that solo etc, with the hope that eventually they'll become second nature and my bag of tricks will no longer be empty. [br][br]For this I don't use the Jam tracks for the Level 1 lessons as then I just end up playing the lesson arrangements over again. But I'm finding anything that has a reasonably simple but interesting chord progression and isn't too fast works well.[br][br]I find it a lot harder to do this than to just do more lessons/songs, playing other peoples arrangements. I think ultimately I just lack creativity lol. But really hoping this is going to make a difference. I've seen other references on YouTube to the dangers of just noodling vs systematically practicing and learning new techniques. But I think that's been the main thing holding me back all these years. I've just never noodled![br][br]Good luck on your journey!