View post (How to Groove/riff)

View thread

JeffS65
JeffS65
11/05/2021 5:02 pm
Originally Posted by: rcrousejr

Hey Everyone

Full access member that just started. Took lessons for 6 years when I was younger and have played since. However, I am taking lessons again to challenge myself and would like guidance on the right path to learning how to "groove." If you watch very experienced players they can pickup a guitar basically pick a key and go to town with riffs/progressions that you can listen to without any other backing instruments. I know this is years of knowledge and many different genres but is there any guidance or what lessons to take to get me in that direction?

Thanks everyone

Two things:

1) Learn theory. More to the point, learn how to spot and hear sounds that are relative to one another. Intervals and overlaps in notes within different scales/positions and modes.

2) Pull up the Guitar Tricks Jam Station and look for differnet base song/jams and just simply mess around. You already have some level of knowledge but you have to mess with all that stuff and make mistakes jamming. With something like the Jam Station, only you hear the mess ups. The helps you start to hear what you're playing agaist various rhythms.

In the end, you hve to just go out there and make mistakes to hear what not to do and get a sense of where the right 'hot spots' exist. Doing so also helps you with understanding pacing, patterns and yep, groove within a structured context.