Essential Tremor

bob.evaristo7
bob.evaristo7
10/29/2021 12:22 am

I have an essential tremor which causes me difficulty in not only writing but in holding and using a pic. I am a brand new beginner and would like to try to learn the guitar as best I can. Does anyone have any suggestions or know of anyone who has had a similar problem?

I do find that using my fingers alone is easier. Should I hang in there a while longer trying to use the pic or just try to use my fingers alone?

Thanks.

Bob

# 1
davem_or
Full Access
davem_or
Full Access
10/29/2021 1:57 am

There are thumb picks that look like a regular pick with a thumb attachement:

Fred Kelly picks

I want to say that learning to use the regular pick will be a valuable skill that is hard to duplicate with just your fingers. Of course, there are probably dozens of fantastic players that never use a pick.

Hopefully, someone with more information can chime in.

# 2
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
10/29/2021 2:52 am

Hi Bob,

I wasn't aware of what an essential tremor was until you brought it up, but now after reading about it, don't beat yourself up. Make this as easy on yourself as possible. Whatever way works for you is the right way.

Best of luck.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 3
DraconusJLM
DraconusJLM
10/29/2021 10:47 am

Getting used to a pick is awkward for all beginners. Try sticking with it but you may reach a point where using fingers is the way to go for you. There are some great players who only play fingerstyle, and multitudes of techniques to learn, so don't let pick problems put you off playing.

I wish this forum had a "block user" feature. Possibly I'm not the only one......

# 4
sixgearz
sixgearz
01/16/2022 5:57 pm

Bob, I have essential tremor also, much more in my right hand. Since I had played as a kid, pick holding is not 'new' to me, tho' there are times I will hit a string twice when I didn't plan on it. My left has some arthritis (I'm 74) so I have some stretching problems for certain applications, but I'm also stubborn.

What might help is if you learn alternative fingerings for chords and take your time with the pick, it's not a race (wish I'd listen to my own advice!). Get it right first then speed up. Good luck!

# 5
deepiper9
Full Access
deepiper9
Full Access
02/17/2022 5:12 am

Hello Bob, everyone. I also have essential tremors. I have had them all my life. i am 58 now. I agree with what the others said, if using your fingers works better for you than a pick, then go with what your comfortable with. I use both picks and fingers. I take Primidone for my tremors and it helps. I also struggle a bit with carpal tunnel and tendonitis. I struggled with using a pick as well after picking guitar up again 2 years ago. It's easier now than it was then. I am not really partial to any one brand of pick over another.

# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.