Headphones or No headphones?

alex.chilvers.1995
alex.chilvers.1995
10/28/2021 7:18 pm

Hi,

First post on the forum but looking for some help. I practise while sitting at a pc with headphones on (1 ear out listening to my guitar ,1 ear listening to the videos). However, recently I have noticed if I take the headphones off completely and try to play the same thing it sounds shocking (Which it doesnt while playing along to the videos).

I guess the video sort of blends the two... so my question is. Should I be practising through speakers? or with guitar plugged into headphones? or completely without the headphones? How do others do it so they can follow along the play throughs while also hearing clearly what your'e actually playing and not letting the video mask the awful sounds?

Any advice is appreciated!

# 1
DraconusJLM
DraconusJLM
10/28/2021 8:01 pm

Details of my setup are in a separate thread on here: "Iridium and Headrush", but it's far from cheap.

It's possible you're not getting the full range of frequencies through your headphones when mixing the audio from the video and your guitar.

Simple solution for guitar tone is use an amp.

Edit.... I've just reread your post. If you're playing acoustic, then using headphones is a bad choice. Play along with the video playing through a speaker.

Also, if you're new to playing, you will find that when you play without the video sound that your timing might be off, so get used to tapping a foot in time to the beat when using videos and also when just playing unaccompanied, that will improve your playing.

Don't beat yourself up if your tone and such isn't perfect, but do try to make gradual improvements.

I wish this forum had a "block user" feature. Possibly I'm not the only one......

# 2
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/29/2021 11:48 am
Originally Posted by: alex.chilvers.1995

Should I be practising through speakers?[/quote]

Yes as much as possible. It's the best way to get used hearing your playing in a natural audio environment. Headphones are great for when you are trying to be quiet. But if at all possible the best solution is to have both the lesson audio & your guitar both playing through open speakers at reasonable volumes.

[quote=alex.chilvers.1995]How do others do it so they can follow along the play throughs while also hearing clearly what your'e actually playing and not letting the video mask the awful sounds?

Playing along with the lessons is fun & great part of the learning process. But it is also an essential part of the learning process to turn off the lesson audio & play by yourself in order to really hear & focus on your own playing.

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 3
alex.chilvers.1995
alex.chilvers.1995
10/29/2021 6:36 pm
Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel

Should I be practising through speakers?[/quote]

Yes as much as possible. It's the best way to get used hearing your playing in a natural audio environment. Headphones are great for when you are trying to be quiet. But if at all possible the best solution is to have both the lesson audio & your guitar both playing through open speakers at reasonable volumes.

[quote=alex.chilvers.1995]How do others do it so they can follow along the play throughs while also hearing clearly what your'e actually playing and not letting the video mask the awful sounds?

Playing along with the lessons is fun & great part of the learning process. But it is also an essential part of the learning process to turn off the lesson audio & play by yourself in order to really hear & focus on your own playing.

Hope that helps!

That helps alot, going to ditch the headphones for now and use speakers as what you said makes alot of sense. Thank you

# 4
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/31/2021 9:02 pm

That helps alot, going to ditch the headphones for now and use speakers as what you said makes alot of sense. Thank you

Good deal! You're welcome. Keep practicing!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 5
ZajoE38
Full Access
ZajoE38
Full Access
11/20/2021 11:28 am

I solve the problem using Vox Amplug. It has an aux jack for backing track from PC and a phone jack for headphones. You dial an optimal balance between a backing track and your guitar and you are good to go.

Happy guitaring

Michal

# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.