Getting a good tone when playing melody or chords

Violanted
Violanted
10/22/2021 3:06 pm

Hi All,

Absolutely beginner here, but...I'm into music since probably 15 years now, playing keyboard, piano, Organ, and my style is Blues and Rock or the mix of the two genre blended together.

I am super excited an dI feel making serious progress, but is only 3 months, I play between 1 hours to 2 hours a day every day. I am on Guitar Fundamentals 1

So far my practice routine is

Playing G Major scale and F Major scale up and down for 5 mins each 10 to 15 mins in total. I learnt some simple chords, Am E C G G7 I switch between them for 20 mins. After that I play couple of simple songs with backing track based on those chords, then couple of songs with Melody this is another 30 mins. At the end I am trying to learn Smoke on the Water, it seems easy one but I can't play it well yet.

The main issues is playing notes or chords in clear tone, it always happen to either not pressing hard enough or to hit the wrong string sometime or the finger touches the parent string and doesn't allow the string to ring clean.

Would that be a matter of practice ? I am slowing down and trying to look where I make mistake and try so eventually should resolve this issue by practicing isn't?

Dave Mojo

davide.violante@rockers.rocks

www.rockers.rocks

[u]Netheralnds[/u]

# 1
DraconusJLM
DraconusJLM
10/22/2021 4:19 pm

You're already doing the right thing. Hitting the right string, not accidentally muting or hitting adjacent strings, getting clear sounds, and so on is a matter of taking notice of little details, working on the technique, and not rushing.

Stick with it and you'll be ripping through Smoke on the water, and much more complex riffs, and wondering why it all seemed so complicated at the beginning, especially when you're up to Welcome to the jungle :)

I wish this forum had a "block user" feature. Possibly I'm not the only one......

# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.