Replacing tuners

Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/26/2003 4:10 pm
Anyone here replaced tuners recently ?

I have a Mex thin-line Tele and a TexMex Californian Strat that both have HORRIBLE HORIBLE slot top tuning pegs. Whilst these don’t provide an immediate problem, I just hate them in a very intense and irrational manner and want to change them.

What I want to know is….. Has anyone has performed this operation recently and if so, which tuners did they use?

I don’t want to be drilling / filling my headstock so I figure that the new tuners need to fit onto the old guitars pretty snugly.

I have been to StewMac.com and most of their tuners state that they requite a 10mm peg hole. I don’t know if this is the same as the existing peg-holes drilled into my headstocks and frankly I’m scared of doing drilling / filling incase I break something.

Any advice is appreciated
S

My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 1
janir123
janir123
01/26/2003 8:22 pm
How about Spertzel locking tuners?
Thanks

Jani
# 2
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
01/26/2003 9:41 pm
Welcome to the wonderful world (Maze) of 6 inline tuners, just too many crazy choices aren't their, I'd say the best bet is to contact Stew-Mac, I'm sure they have had enough of the wrong size returned by now, to know which size will fit every model Fender makes. If you have a good selection of drill bits, you can size the hole with the shank of the bit, and give Stew-Mac that info too, Good Luck Doc........
# 3
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/26/2003 11:34 pm
I have written to StewMac also (as that is where I will probably get 'em).

I'll let you know how things work out !

Thanks

Simon
# 4
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/28/2003 3:30 am
StewMac wrote me a very nice email, which basically said:

"why don’t you measure the existing ones and compare them with the diagrams on our website !"

Looks like I’m off to StewMac to buy a pair of digital calipers ! I am reminded of a song about a bucket with a hole in it and a girl called Liza !

I also asked them about which tools were needed to build one of their Resonator kits…..the list was as long as my arm !

Poooo !

# 5
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
01/30/2003 5:38 am
Hmmm, Stew-mac's afraid to give you bad info on the tuners, but they still got a sell out of it, yeah they do love to sell tools, which is good, they are a great source, but their tool lists for any task is overkill............
# 6
paradyme
paradyme
09/22/2005 6:09 pm
Hey people!

It's been forever since I've posted here, so I hope everyone is well! I thought I'd offer some guidance from my past experiences with changing hardware on instruments. I've found that most aftermarket tuning hardware is always a tad bigger than the hole manufacturers drill into their instruments- I've had this experience with Fender, Squier, Epiphone, Dean, and various acoustic guitars, and I have to say that while it's a little bit of a pain in the butt, filing is definitely an easy enough way to go and the cosmetic "damage" to the instrument always is in the back of the headstock and the tuning mechanism sits squarely over the filed part of the headstock. I usually space out and watch tv while I file them out, but it is very easy. Do not try to drill the head though unless you have the right equipment, that head will be damaged terribly.
[FONT=Times New Roman]The rich get richer til the poor get educated.[/FONT]
-Sage Francis
# 7
RobSm
RobSm
09/23/2005 5:28 am
Originally Posted by: pstringHmmm, Stew-mac's afraid to give you bad info on the tuners, but they still got a sell out of it, yeah they do love to sell tools, which is good, they are a great source, but their tool lists for any task is overkill............

Yes I agree..but there is one gadget I wished I'd known about and will buy and that's the little tuner jig for fender/schaller tuners. I got really pissed off fitting Fender(Schaller) locking tuners the screwless ones with twin lugs.

The first 4 in line were easy because I had a 'straight' edge to use but on the fifth the curve of the headstock started & I stuffed up the postion of one hole royally!!! :mad: It cannot be seen but this little jig would make drilling the holes for the lugs easy & accurate.
Robbo
# 8
aschleman
aschleman
09/27/2005 3:54 pm
You don't so much have to worry about getting tuners that are larger than your exhisting holes... the holes can be bored out within a matter of minutes without having to worry about hurting your guitar.... the only way to fit tuners that are smaller than your exhisting holes would be either to find retorfitting ferrules that shrink the hole size.... or plug the holes with maple and redrill (not recommended). The only concernt that I would have if I were you is the location of the mounting screws on the back of the headstock... you don't want those little babies sticking out if you have to change the configuration... look for some tuners with a similar mounting configuration and atleast a larger required diameter and you'll be fine. If you have to end up drilling a bit... heres some luthier tips!!!

1. Always drill into the surface that is lacquered or finished... never out of. In this case you'll want to drill from the front of the headstock to the back of the headstock since the holes in the back should be coverd anyway.

2. Use masking tape to prevent chipping of finishes. You'll want to place a line of masking tape that goes over the 6 holes on both sides. this keeps the wood from flaking and holds the lacquer a little more firmly.

3. Careful when pulling the drill bit out. Always keep the drill bit spinning when pulling it out of the hole... Stopping the drill bit and pulling it out will result in the finish being snagged and chipping away around the hole.

There you, its as easy as that. Nothing really to it
# 9
RobSm
RobSm
09/29/2005 2:01 am
Originally Posted by: Dr_simonAnyone here replaced tuners recently ?

I have a Mex thin-line Tele and a TexMex Californian Strat that both have HORRIBLE HORIBLE slot top tuning pegs. Whilst these don’t provide an immediate problem, I just hate them in a very intense and irrational manner and want to change them.

What I want to know is….. Has anyone has performed this operation recently and if so, which tuners did they use?

I don’t want to be drilling / filling my headstock so I figure that the new tuners need to fit onto the old guitars pretty snugly.

I have been to StewMac.com and most of their tuners state that they requite a 10mm peg hole. I don’t know if this is the same as the existing peg-holes drilled into my headstocks and frankly I’m scared of doing drilling / filling incase I break something.

Any advice is appreciated
S

Try the Guitar fetish site. I think they have ferrules that adapt so that if your holes were too big the ferrules would allow you to fit the smaller dia Kluson types.

It might not be what you want, but it won't hurt to see what's out there.
Robbo
# 10
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
10/01/2005 2:49 am
I ended up filing the slots on my SG cuz my replacements were bigger. It really was much easier than expected. I didn't measure or anything...just started filing away, checking the progress along the way with the new tuners. I spent maybe $4 on that job total, and that's only because I didn't have the router and file. Of course tuners that fit exactly would be ideal, but if that's not the case, then don't be too intimidated by the job.

Here's what I used: Bastard File and handheld router.

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"Bust a nut!" - Dimebag
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Einstein
[/FONT]
# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.