View post (I want to skip learning about chords, can I?)

View thread

Benjamin Tan
Benjamin Tan
10/04/2021 6:55 pm
Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel

Or maybe you only want to play single note melodies?[/quote][p]

Nope, not single note melodies, Im thinking of finger style as basically what ure described.

Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel

If you are bored with GF1, then by all means go find another lesson that inspires you! For example, Lisa has a great series of tutorials on fingerstyle guitar. Let's look at the first one.

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=596

[/quote]

OMG I didn't even know this existed! Where is this lesson found at?!

Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel[p]The lesson here is that there is no getting around learning chords if you want to play guitar. It's part of the process. How you learn them is up to you. If you are not enjoying GF1, then pick another course or lesson! Some other approach on how to learn chords might be more beneficial for you.
[p]

I actually find it boring simply because I can't see how learning this much about chords(almost the entire GF 1 and 2 is about chords) can help me with fingerstyle, and for that reason, I find it boring and I also find it hard to retain what I learn, if you know what I mean for the latter. I know fingerstyle will need chords, but I don't know to what extent. But now that you have clarified, I am a bit more clearer now.

[quote=ChristopherSchlegel]

But eventually you'll have to learn chords or else you are only going to be playing one note at a time melodies. And that's fine, too! But the guitar is a harmonic instrument: you can play up to 6 notes at once on it! And playing more than one note a time means playing chords.

Definitely, thanks for the tips. Fingerstyle is what I wanna learn right now and if I need to learn chords to play fingerstyle, I will, as long as I can see how chords can help me with improving my fingerstyle. In this case, I am learning chords with a clearer purpose instead of learning for the sake of following GT's structure to progress with no clear goal in mind(That's what I had been doing for the past year).

[quote=ChristopherSchlegel]

Hope that helps! Best of success!

Thanks. you too.

Benjamin.