View post (I want to skip learning about chords, can I?)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/04/2021 11:59 am
Originally Posted by: Benjamin Tan

I really want to know how to play fingerstyle and learn the scales, and notes on the guitar so I can improvise whatever I want.[/quote][p]Maybe there is some confusion on what the term fingerstyle means.

Generally fingerstyle is distinct from strumming with a pick. You can either use a pick (or fingers) to strum all or some of the strings together. Or you use the fingers of your picking hand to arpeggiate, to rhythmically separate the notes. This is usually called fingerpicking (or fingerstyle).

But in both cases, strumming & fingerpicking (fingerstyle), your fretting hand has to play notes on the fretboard in. Generally the notes your fretting hand plays are chords.

Or maybe you only want to play single note melodies?

[quote=Benjamin Tan]I find it very hard to go through the steps of learning all the chords in the fundamentals course, and due to me being uninterested, I am hardly absorbing anything I learned.

If you don't know chords what do you expect to be doing with your fretting hand while your picking hand is plucking strings?

If you are bored with GF1, then by all means go find another lesson that inspires you! For example, Lisa has a great series of tutorials on fingerstyle guitar. Let's look at the first one.

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=596

She starts with the basics of how to orgranize your picking hand. But then right after that, at lesson 3, she starts using chords. And then adds more chords thereafter to play actual songs.

The lesson here is that there is no getting around learning chords if you want to play guitar. It's part of the process. How you learn them is up to you. If you are not enjoying GF1, then pick another course or lesson! Some other approach on how to learn chords might be more beneficial for you.

But eventually you'll have to learn chords or else you are only going to be playing one note at a time melodies. And that's fine, too! But the guitar is a harmonic instrument: you can play up to 6 notes at once on it! And playing more than one note a time means playing chords.

Hope that helps! Best of success!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory