The things I hate the most and love the most about the music business

Classic Jay
Classic Jay
01/24/2003 12:50 pm
1/ People yelling...play some ozzy...etc.

2/ people that catch you during a break and tell your LLOONNGG stories about how they used to play in a band as a younger person and were rock stars..

3/ drunk people banging into my equipment..

4/ the smoke makes my eyes hurt..

5/ people that walk on stage during a set

6/ They don't pay much...

7/ Fights

The bonuses of small bars.....

1/ drunk hot women that come on stage to sing back up to songs like "Mustang Sally"...ride Sally ride...

2/ Watching hot women dance in front of the stage to the point I almost miss my cue for my solo

3/ Drunk Women

The Bonuses of playing pig roasts and stage and doe Dances.....

1/ Free Food

2/ Free Beer

3/ Drunk women

4/ They pay well

5/ It is usually outdoors so there is less smoke

6/ You usually get hired back

7/ Usually close to home

Tell me what you think
2001 Yahmaha Pacifica 112, Blue Tube Distortion,Yahmaha Compression,DOD FX7 Effect Processor,Dunlop Wah,1969 Traynor YGM-3 Amplifier
# 1
N4Player
N4Player
01/25/2003 2:50 am
Right on Jay, Here's some of mine:

Bad things:
1> Someone detunes your axe in between sets...it happened.
2> Playing an outdoor gig surrounded by 50,000 Volts and its starts to rain....hard...with wind.
3> Playing overseas and you have to use jumper cables to ground your power transformer to a metal pole....really I had to.
4> Drunk bass player knocks the power transformer off the stage during a set.
5> Drunk drummer ends a song in the middle of your solo.
6> Drunk guy hits on your wife and she beats the snot out of him with a broom during the set.
7> You play Ozzy and folks yell "Free Bird"
8> Drunks that didn't score talk your damn ear off when you're trying to pack up.
9> You're a metal band and the owner comes up and says "Get 'em dancin"

Good things:
1> You meet alot of people - mostly drunks
2> You can mess up bad and noone notices
3> Free drinks
4> Hopefully, you get paid
2> You have a great time playing
...another toy, to help destroy, the elder race of man
# 2
Classic Jay
Classic Jay
01/25/2003 3:26 am
Good ones....

jumper cables...lol

I hate people bugging you when all you want to do is pack up and go home..

I do remember playing an outdoor gig in 2001 on Labour day at night and it got down to almost freezing... I wore two shirts and a sweater...Played the same gig in 2002 and I was in shorts and a tie shirt.. go figure. No rain though...... that would suck..
2001 Yahmaha Pacifica 112, Blue Tube Distortion,Yahmaha Compression,DOD FX7 Effect Processor,Dunlop Wah,1969 Traynor YGM-3 Amplifier
# 3
Slow Diver
Slow Diver
01/25/2003 8:55 pm
Security guards that kick the musicians. Yes, it happened once to our drummer. But, yeah, I'm living in Bulgaria, everything is allowed here.
The world is loaded, it's lit to pop, nobody is gonna stop!
# 4
N4Player
N4Player
01/25/2003 8:59 pm
Jay,
Yeah, the jumper cables helped cut down on the 40-50 volts that were running through my guitar strings also. The bands' most common saying on stage when playing in Europe was "Don't touch me !"
...another toy, to help destroy, the elder race of man
# 5
Tele Master
Full Access
Tele Master
Full Access
01/25/2003 10:37 pm
Sounds like some good stories. I like the fact that almost every good and bad thing had to do with drunks.
Electric Guitars are the inspiration for cries of "Turn that damn thing down"-Gibson website
# 6
Classic Jay
Classic Jay
01/25/2003 10:45 pm
Last summer we played to a crowd across a river.. we we on one side and the crowd on the other.. there was enough room for two boats to pass in the river in front of us..

We sent one of the band memebers with a wireless mic to the other side to help with the sound check... We asked if it was too loud... our guy said that if it was too loud the people were too old... (he is the local grocery store owner and a lot of his customers were old).. some of the people were not happy hearing his response on the PA.

When we we playing, everytime a boat would pass the sound would bounce back to the stage and go dead and flat... What a nightmare to control..good gig... weird place to play

Playing to old people suck! maybe if they were drunk it would have been fun....lol

# 7
kingdavid
kingdavid
01/27/2003 8:33 am
Originally posted by Classic Jay
...I hate people bugging you when all you want to do is pack up and go home...

I guess I'm the only one who has this syndrome,but whenever I've seen some band play,I always try to go to them and make some small talk.
When they're packing up.
*shrug*
# 8
Classic Jay
Classic Jay
01/27/2003 12:00 pm
There is a limit... Talking about equipment, guitars.. etc is not bad talk...I don't mind that stuff

It's the drunks that come up and go... You guys rock man... can I play your guitar.. I was once a rock star...falling as they come on stage

I like to talk to people at shows and don't mind being approached.. don't get the wrond impression here. If you play and see a good band, by all mean go and talk to them... Ask about equipment, talk about songs..

Please don't be discouraged to talk to them..
# 9
canuck7
canuck7
01/28/2003 4:22 pm
this summer i met the lead singer of a Vancouver-based punk band. i had never ever heard of them and i didn't realize he was in a band until he told me. but i had all sorts of questions and he wasn't bugged or anything. it was at my aunts house, she knows all sorts of people. i came over and this guy was just playing on her guitar. we just started talking and ended up having a good time talking about music, guitars, his band. all good stuff. i have never had a bad experience with band people yet. i meet people in bands and they are quite happy to talk about some awesome show or something. i haven't met any big stars yet though. ah well.
i like talking with people in bands. maybe them being Canadians was the real reason!! just messing around.
Thanks for listening to this small piece of me.
# 10
jealousblues
jealousblues
01/03/2004 6:28 am
I thought they all yelled play Skynard?
Have you noticed that the best songs always seem be the most simple take, the classic song, "batman"... I mean its just Batman and Na...
# 11
hairbndrckr
hairbndrckr
01/04/2004 6:25 am
They do here in Florida
Hoowee boy...play some skeee-nard.(then proceeds to spit tobacco juice on the floor)

The things I hated about gigs were:
Drunk guys coming up between sets smelling like a distillery getting mere millimeters from your face trying to talk to you....(can you say mint?)
Rowdy drunks throwing stuff onstage like beer bottles. They hurt.

The things I like about gigs were:
Women losing all inhibition when the libation comes into play. I had a drunk chick come onstage once and try to go down on me while I was playing... Of course I had her pulled offstage...and bought her a few more drinks to keep her inebriated enough to have a little fun afterwards.
So. If you throw a cat out of a car window, is it considered "kitty litter"?
# 12

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.