Baritone Guitar - Killin Time

mjgodin
mjgodin
09/18/2021 6:51 pm

Hey Mike,

I've been listening to some older 80's country music recently and was pleased to see two songs that really caught my ear are taught hear on GT. "Amarillo by Morning" by George Strait and Clint Blacks "Killin Time". I like these tunes because not only are the acoustic strumming parts easy to learn and fun to play, but also the electric guitar fills are manageable even for my ability. Well let's just say they are works in progress.

[br]

What I really want to talk about though is that Baritone Guitar on "Killin Time".

What an awesome sound. Is it yours or the studios? Can't make out the headstock label so who makes it? Have you used it in other songs/genres? I'm learning the standard version guitar tuning you taught as a bonus lesson, thanks for including that by the way, but was wondering with all all these fancy features on todays modelling amps like the Boss Katana I have, could that tone be closely replicated without of course going out and buying a baritone guitar which like you said probably none of us have. What effect could give it that squawky tone and how low would I have to tune down?

Great job on the lessons. If there are any other songs from that era and genre on here with some gentle electric fills like on these songs please pass them on.

Thanks,

Moe

# 1
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/19/2021 2:40 pm

Hey Moe - excellent work!! I'm so glad you found these tutorials and are enjoying them!

As for the baritone - I borrowed that from a friend. It's an Eastwood Sidejack Baritone - very cool guitar! I've been hankering for a baritone guitar for awhile to add to my collection, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I see there's a Squier baritone available now for under $500 that looks very tempting.

It is possible to mimic the sound of the baritone using pedals or some of the modelling gear out there now. You would use an octave down pitch effect to do it. But you would only come close depending on the note range you're looking at, and not playing chords, just single notes.

Baritones have a longer scale length, usually around 27" compared with the 25" scale length of a standard guitar, so that definitely will affect the tone. Usually a baritone would be tuned with the low string down to B or C, but there aren't any standard rules for this.

For similar songs with acoustic strumming and simple electric ornamentation, these came to mind:

Glenn Campbell "Wichita Lineman"

Waylon Jennings "Are You Sure Hank Done It This Way"

and any of the Alabama songs.

Cheers and keep on pickin'!

Mike

Originally Posted by: mjgodin

Hey Mike,

I've been listening to some older 80's country music recently and was pleased to see two songs that really caught my ear are taught hear on GT. "Amarillo by Morning" by George Strait and Clint Blacks "Killin Time". I like these tunes because not only are the acoustic strumming parts easy to learn and fun to play, but also the electric guitar fills are manageable even for my ability. Well let's just say they are works in progress.

What I really want to talk about though is that Baritone Guitar on "Killin Time".

What an awesome sound. Is it yours or the studios? Can't make out the headstock label so who makes it? Have you used it in other songs/genres? I'm learning the standard version guitar tuning you taught as a bonus lesson, thanks for including that by the way, but was wondering with all all these fancy features on todays modelling amps like the Boss Katana I have, could that tone be closely replicated without of course going out and buying a baritone guitar which like you said probably none of us have. What effect could give it that squawky tone and how low would I have to tune down?

Great job on the lessons. If there are any other songs from that era and genre on here with some gentle electric fills like on these songs please pass them on.

Thanks,

Moe

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 2
mjgodin
mjgodin
09/19/2021 2:50 pm

Awesome, thank you Mike.

# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.