View post (struggling with positioning ring finger on G)

View thread

amy.allard13
amy.allard13
09/16/2021 1:56 pm

hi i am a beginner guitar player and am struggling with getting the ring finger in the correct position on the G chord. I can play it fine if my ring finger is completely straight and rigid but when I have watched the videos of Lisa playing and other images of the G chord being played, the ring finger has a slight bend to it. I bend my index and middle fingers when playing the other two notes but my ring finger just wants to go straight!

I have attached two images, one is of my ring finger straight which is how I play it, and the other I've tried to bend my ring finger to show you how I think I should be bending it (I'm aware I havent moved my ring finger towards the edge of the fret in this pic).

I was just wondering whether it was okay to play it my way? The chord sounds fine and I get the best tone this way but I wouldnt want to cause any damage to my ring finger if it is completely straight and rigid. Is playing it like this bad for my finger? Probably a silly question but just thought i would ask!

Many thanks for any assistance.

Amy