Rush - Working Man - string question

William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
09/15/2021 11:45 pm

Hi Mike,

just started the intro to Working Man and am really enjoying it! When you do those unison bends they sure look a whole lot easier for you than for me. I am using 9 gauge strings.

Do you make it look so easy because you just can or are you using lighter gauge strings on your Ibanez?

Thanks for the tutorial Mike!

William

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 1
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/16/2021 1:03 pm

Hey William! So glad you're digging the lesson - I had a blast teaching that one!

The strings I'm using on the Ibanez are a bit heavier - 10-46 gauge. Unison bending is an important technique in rock music, so I suppose I'm making it look easy because I've been playing them for several decades now haha!

The key is to practice the technique every day if possible, with lots of repetition to build the strength in your fingers as well as the muscle memory. Practice up the neck at first to make it a bit easier, and focus on getting those bends in tune. With unison bending, you usually are bending using the ring or pinky - so that leaves you the middle finger to help push the string up with more strength and control.

Hope this helps! Let me know how it goes!

Mike

Originally Posted by: William MG

Hi Mike,

just started the intro to Working Man and am really enjoying it! When you do those unison bends they sure look a whole lot easier for you than for me. I am using 9 gauge strings.

Do you make it look so easy because you just can or are you using lighter gauge strings on your Ibanez?

Thanks for the tutorial Mike!

William

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 2
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
09/16/2021 2:44 pm

It does Mike, thanks.

10! Damm!! lol

# 3
mjgodin
mjgodin
09/16/2021 9:32 pm

I hear ya William. You know of all the techniques that we try to learn on guitar I never thought string bending would be one of the more difficult ones but damn it really is. At least if you want it to sound good. It's not really a major priority for me at this point, but I feel your pain.[br]Mike and the others certainly make it look easy don't they.

[br]Moe

# 4
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
09/16/2021 10:28 pm

They do for sure Moe.

# 5
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
09/16/2021 11:56 pm

Hey Mike,

I forgot to mention that I have a very similar Ibanez. Not sure if yours is a Chinese model, but mine shows made in China and was not a lot of money for a great guitar.

I think I will use this as I make my way through the song.

Thanks again

William

# 6
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/17/2021 1:09 pm

Nice! Yes I picked up my Ibanez ASV73 recently for a very good price. I do believe it is Made in China as well. Very nice guitar for the money!

Cheers!

Mike

Originally Posted by: William MG

Hey Mike,

I forgot to mention that I have a very similar Ibanez. Not sure if yours is a Chinese model, but mine shows made in China and was not a lot of money for a great guitar.

I think I will use this as I make my way through the song.

Thanks again

William

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 7
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
09/19/2021 2:27 pm

Hey Mike,

finally made it through all the rhythm sections so I can make my way through the song, now just have to work on smoothing things out.

I have to admit to a newfound respect for the guitar skills of Alex. Those solo bits are a long way off if I even do attempt them. For now I am just happy I can jam along. But to think of his skill level at such a young age! Like I said, new found respect.

Growing up I was never deep into Rush, but with you being a Canadian boy like myself, you can probably appreciate my quest to build a repertoire of Canadian rock: Rush, BTO, April Wine, the Hip.

So thanks again for such a great tutorial.

William

# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.