Thumb position

stacykhuffman
stacykhuffman
09/15/2021 5:13 pm

I'd like more information about correct thumb position. The beginner lessons don't really talk at about it but reading other stuff and through my own experiementation it seems pretty critical. It looks like the teacher is muting the low E on the Am and C chords and I've been practicing doing this as well as copying her thumb position (thumb visible) and it seems to help a lot. Are there any extra tutuorials or info on what's going on (or should be going on) with the thumb behind the neck?

# 1
Drake the Red
Full Access
Drake the Red
Full Access
09/16/2021 3:01 am

Using the fretting hand thumb to mute or manipulate lower strings is something experienced guitarists do after years of practice.

The best place for the thumb is comfortably behind the neck and your index/middle finger, but not firmly. Try re-watching Guitar Fundamentals 1, how to hold a guitar by Lisa McCormick, for a precise guide. Or how to fret notes, the video on what the job of the fretting hand does.

Best of luck, Chris.

Am I the only one who plays multiple instruments? Let's be inspirational and find our muses everyday!

# 2
stacykhuffman
stacykhuffman
09/17/2021 1:32 am

I will check those out. Thanks!

# 3
TGSMi
Full Access
TGSMi
Full Access
09/17/2021 8:51 am

Hello, I also had problems with the switch between Am and E and I did the same as you : I watched Lisa's thumb position and copied it, and it worked. I don't mute the low E string tough, I just anchor my thumb firmly on top of the neck between 2nd and 3rd fret. I think it is this firm anchor that helps, and now I make sure not to move my thumb when switching chords.

The only real failure is the failure to try.

# 4
Drake the Red
Full Access
Drake the Red
Full Access
09/17/2021 5:01 pm
Originally Posted by: stacykhuffman

I will check those out. Thanks!

Hi,

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a good read and there's plenty worthwhile books about guitar playing and theory available. But I personally feel they can distract us from actually playing our instruments, if we're not learning theory with practical together.

Anyway, have fun :)

Am I the only one who plays multiple instruments? Let's be inspirational and find our muses everyday!

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.