View post (Newbie from JustinGuitar Beginner level 1 Complete)

View thread

JeffS65
JeffS65
09/29/2021 8:33 pm
Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel[br]It was & continues to be a fascinating challenge to build a curriculum for any & every distance learner: a learning path for someone that is not taking an in-person lesson with me. I try to strike the right balance between including everything, anyone at any skill level might need to know & being as concise & to the point as possible.

Interesting discussion.

My job is a Program Manager has to do with customer experience and also turning complex information in to simplified and orderly (bite sized) elements. It also has to work for a lot of people (ie - millions). Striking that balance is quite a task and is not truly feasible to meet every person's level of understanding. It takes getting in to someone else's head to do so. For my world of work focus (currently, I do privacy and regulatory stuff), I can't look at how I communicte as a sort of 'what do I want to say to the customer' (or internal users) but; what questions is the customer or internal user needing answered? This comes from experience and historical insight.

To your point Chris, you can't really know what each new player is going to ask. However, with years of teaching, you do know the commonalities with regard to issues players can run in to. Additionally, how much information they can consume.

Like with the chord theory, it's the type of information that will net benefits later if a player knows that now. In the few lessons I've given my wife (she hasn't had a chance to get too deep), I've mentioned that some info I've given her is useful later on but know that some things I've shown her have some level of theory/methodology that will be clear later.

A good example is the shape difference in the open E minor and the A minor. Like, the E Major and A minor have the same shape. At first, it was confusing why the same shape on another set of strings made something fo from a major to a minor. I quickly explained a little something about string intervals in a very simple way so that she could see it as more of a math/counting solution than a 'shape' concept. She didn't need a deep understanding of the concept, just a quick answer as to why. Later on, when she's progressed and started learning more in depth stuff, she can call back to that initial understanding.

Something like that.

Anyway, a tiny bit of knowledge goes a long way.