View post (Newbie from JustinGuitar Beginner level 1 Complete)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/29/2021 4:16 pm
Originally Posted by: manXcatNoted. I'd have thought it remedial methodology, -ref: paraphrased, 'struggling beginners' rather than "traditional".[/quote]

Good observation! Let me back up a step. :)[br][br]It was & continues to be a fascinating challenge to build a curriculum for any & every distance learner: a learning path for someone that is not taking an in-person lesson with me. I try to strike the right balance between including everything, anyone at any skill level might need to know & being as concise & to the point as possible.

For example, when I'm teaching in-person I can adjust the curriculum on the fly. If someone is struggling with simple chords, then I can spend more time with it. I can even add a whole layer of more simple chords & then work at that level until they are physically capable of doing so-called full chords.

Conversely, if an in-person student has no trouble with simple chords & can work with open full chords faster or right away, then I don't spend any more time than necessary on it in order to instead give them gradually more advanced material.

At one point when I was building GF1 I even considered a chapter on all 7 musical alphabet letter simple chords! But I realized that was too much. So I just included the ones that start with a variety of one finger, then add a finger, then add switching strings for added complexity to build dexerity. So, I tried to include that basic step, but concisely & in a way that added value without being too overburdened.

One potential model I had to work from was the classic, traditional series of Mel Bay & Hal Leonard guitar method books! And those also include some basic, simple triad chords as an intermediate step to full chords. The obvious parallel here is that a book has to written as a distance curriculum! It has to assume a wide variety of potential student skill levels.

[br]

Originally Posted by: manXcatI saw the same thing instructing ab-initio studs in aviation all the time over the years I was doign that.[/quote][p]Interesting parallels! Thanks for the insight.

[br]

Originally Posted by: manXcatAlthough the theory of the above sounds good hypothetically, in pragmatic terms [u]IMV[/u], I don't think it what you're referring to really resonates let alone sinks in [u]at that stage[/u] when all a newbie student really wants to do is play a few open chords as quickly as possible so they can put together a three chord song using traditionally fingered and sounding -vs easy or simple, resembling something song wise with which they are familiar.[/quote][p]Sure, but the seed is planted & I can refer to it later as necessary.

[quote=manXcat]Once I realised what was going on and categorised it pointless + infantile as applicable to me...

Sure, the online instruction model works best with a self-starter that can self-criticize & self-assess effectively.

[quote=manXcat][br]Without apology for my view, noting neither group hugs style diplomacy nor superficiality are strong suites of mine. Just calling it as I experienced and perceive it.

Haha! Roger that. :)

[quote=manXcat]I comprehend your explanation of why it's included in the GT syllabus as it is. I also get totally that it's not [u]about me[/u] but a public of whom Fender's survey stats revealing 90% of new guitar buying beginners give up trying to learn guitar within the first 12 months.

That's right on the money. Cheers back at you!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory