View post (Newbie from JustinGuitar Beginner level 1 Complete)

View thread

manXcat
manXcat
09/02/2021 11:52 pm

My advice would be to stick with JG's fingering teaching of those chords you've already learnt at this time unless you want to use the alternative conventional fingering for A (see my links in paragraph 4 below).[br][br]IMV JG's is superior (logical) as applied to EAD-DAE changes, although I use pretty much all the open fingerings of A there are situationally dependent, and you will too in time.

[br]Something I personally don't agree with/condone is the hand holding soft 'Kindy' teaching style intro to the 'simple' C, G, Am & E as taught by Lisa here in Fundamentals 1 initial lessons. Some night need or even like that kind of babying. To me it's as absurd as it is obtuse/confusing as is oft seen in the questions asked here on GT by noobs, but more saliently, completely unnecessary for such super easy to finger Open chords as C, G, Am & E in any case -reiterating, MPO.

[br]Many are unaware of the existence of and extant availability of access on Guitar Tricks to the previous iteration of GT Fundamentals 1 as taught by Christopher Schlegel. I preferred (& prefer) his teaching methodology and lessons. Here are the lessons on AED from Christopher starting with A before progressing logically through C,F,G.His full (alternative) Fundamentals 1 course can be found commencing here.

The choice of whose teaching methodology/protocol to pursue is of course yours.

[br]GL & most of all enjoy yourself.

P.S. I just belatedly realised Christopher follows a simple chord approach too earlier in his Fundamentals 1 program. I must've missed that when I switched to it having transitioned after I'd passed that point. Although over 40 years ago I'd learnt/been taught the conventional method for fingering open A, when I came back to guitar in late 2017 I started EAD with JG's fingering & chord transition method for those three chords and found it so easy peasy, nothing simpler or easier was required. Hence my perspective. In any case I reiterate I just don't see any need for it [u]even as a rank beginner[/u] for such easy to play chords as A, Am, E, Em, C & G. F is the possible[u] difficulty[/u] exception where encouragement and an initial easier alternative might be necessary until forefinger strength, flexibility and stretch is achieved to effect a satisfactory level of competency in fingering either the first fret partial (E&B strings) or full bar.