View post (Scale Length Advice)

View thread

revdave10
revdave10
08/23/2021 1:22 am

I'm not a noob, but I've only recently begun playing again after many, many years. I'm looking to buy a new acoustic and need advice on scale length. Here's my story:

I stopped playing years ago, because my fingers are short and I have some webbing in between, therefore, my stretch is limited. My playing was becoming frustrating, I was largely self-taught, and I just gave it up.[br][br]

As I've begun playing guitar again, for about the last month or so, I'm running into the same issue, only I'm now 37 years older. I'm playing my wife's guitar which has a 25.4" scale. My short fingers are having difficulty with scales and forming stretchy chords. [br][br]

I'm looking to buy my own guitar. Tone is a huge factor for me. I've played some 3/4 scale guitars and hate the boxy and limited tone. I want an all-hog 000. I'm a Martin fan, so looking at both the 00015M and the 000-10 (Road Series) all-sapele. I adore the tone of the 15, but the shorter scale length of the 10 also seems appealing, even though the tone is not as appealing to me as the 15. The 15 is standard 25.4". The 10 is 24.9". Price is not particularly a consideration.

My question is: do I look at the shorter scale length and sacrifice tone, thinking it will be easier to play, or do I go for tone and hope I'll "work into" the longer scale length as I progress? Some further info: I've played electric bass for 30 years. But bass technique is different; I rarely play more than one string at a time. I understand the ergonomics of playing, just not guitar-specific. What I need is perspective from someone who's taught guitar, understands physical considerations, and has experience seeing players progress physically. Is it feasible that my aging fingers will stretch out again with playing, or do I just need to accept some physical limitations? Or... is the half-inch scale length difference even enough to worry about?

All things considered, I'd buy the 15 in a heartbeat for the tone alone if I thought I'd work my way into it. I'm really wondering how much of this is likely just "beginners clumsiness," and is likely to get better as I gain strength and get the muscle memory working? I can buy one guitar. I can't buy one and then "upgrade" later.

Thanks!