F Major Cord Trouble

gabrieltello
gabrieltello
08/20/2021 1:47 am

I recently watched the F major cord video in Chapter 5 of GF1 and I've been having trouble getting the B and high E strings to ring out. In the video, they use a simplified variation of the cord and for the most odd reason, I'm finding it a lot harder to play than the standard method which involves barring all cords on the first fret. Anyone also have this experience? I can play the standard method perfectly but I want to follow the course along as instructed so I'm also trying to get the variation down as well, but it's giving me so much trouble. Any tips?

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/20/2021 12:35 pm
Originally Posted by: gabrieltello

I recently watched the F major cord video in Chapter 5 of GF1 and I've been having trouble getting the B and high E strings to ring out.[/quote]

Can you identify what exactly is causing the trouble? Is it string spacing? The right angle or microplacement of your fingers?

[quote=gabrieltello]I can play the standard method perfectly but I want to follow the course along as instructed so I'm also trying to get the variation down as well, but it's giving me so much trouble. Any tips?

As long as you can play some version of the chord, then that's fine to use & keep going forward in the course!

You can always make time in your future practice to review & refine this or any problem area.

I have these options for beginners struggling with the F chord.

First just try this triad. This is enough to get the sound of the chord because it contains all the notes you need. For now just do that when you need to practice an F chord in time.

|-----------------------|

|--1--(C)-------------|[br]|--2--(A)-------------|[br]|--3--(F)-------------|[br]|-----------------------|

Or if necessary break it down to the diad version.

|--2--(A)-------------|[br]|--3--(F)-------------|[br]|-----------------------|

At a different practice session try working on the upper part. Again this is enough to create a full F chord because it has all the notes you need, just a different voicing!

|--1--(F)------------|[br]|--1--(C)------------|[br]|--2--(A)-------------|[br]|-----------------------|[br]|-----------------------|

Eventually you can work on putting them together after you get a handle on those two different "pieces" of the traditional F chord voicing.

Also, electric guitars do typically have lower action & smaller neck profiles. Are you playing acoustic or electric?

Hope this helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
gabrieltello
gabrieltello
08/22/2021 5:24 pm

Hello Christopher,

I've identified the problem to be improper angle of my fingers on the D and G strings. I guess when I roll my index finger to bar the B and high E strings, my middle and ring finders also lean over to obstruct the other strings from ringing out. [br][br]

I appreciate the feedback, I will certainly practice these options until I get it right. Also, I am currently playing on an acoustic guitar. I've thought about the action being too high but I checked it and it appears about right. I can't help but think how much easier this could be on an electric guitar!

Best,

GT

# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/22/2021 8:27 pm

Glad you've identified the problem!

Originally Posted by: gabrieltelloI appreciate the feedback, I will certainly practice these options until I get it right.[/quote]

Good deal!

[quote=gabrieltello]Also, I am currently playing on an acoustic guitar. I've thought about the action being too high but I checked it and it appears about right. I can't help but think how much easier this could be on an electric guitar!

Glad you checked it. I think electric guitars are typically a little easier to play. :) Keep working on it!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.