Silent practice

Sore.fingers
Sore.fingers
08/15/2021 11:52 am

Hello, I’m working on GF1 and started with chord changes. I don't mind practicing for hours, but I can imagine that my neighbours and wife don’t really appreciate these constant repetitive tones. Therefor, I threw in some silent practice. I only change chords and don’t strum. For my relation with neighbours and wife this is very beneficial, but I wonder if it really helps. Is there anyone else who does this? Did it help to improve your skills?

# 1
DraconusJLM
DraconusJLM
08/15/2021 6:48 pm

The only problem with this is you can't check if your fingers are touching adjacent strings, but it's ok.

I assume you're playing on an acoustic. You can make it quieter by threading a shoelace or strip of material through the strings close to the bridge.

Solid body electric guitars are better for "silent" practice. You can either play it without plugging it into an amp, or use an amp or similar that has a headphone socket (or similar setup), but I wouldn't recommend the expense of buying an electric setup unless that's what you plan to play.

I wish this forum had a "block user" feature. Possibly I'm not the only one......

# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.