View post (a moral dilemma)

View thread

kingdavid
kingdavid
01/31/2003 8:01 am
Originally posted by Raskolnikov
...Iraq has a well educated populace that's quite capable of governing itself with Saddam out of the way, but it also has three large ethnic groups that don't always get along and they will need to be policed until they have chosen some kind of unified government...

You expressing double standards here;you feel that they can govern themselves on their own but neeed your policing to handle ethnic differences.What then do you understand by self governance.That "need policing" thing is just an excuse to go where you've no right to go.
...we'd just have to police that much more turf...

Who gave you the role of policing any turf?
...get our troops out of foreign nations (because our forces are spred too thin to be fully effective)...

Effective against who?Were you at war with anyone before sept. 11?Or was Bush planning to do this all along,sept was just an excuse?Do you realise how much less your defence budget would be if you didn't go throwing your weight everywhere?
US Nukes: GW saying he'd use nuclear weapons "if appropriate" forces Saddam to question whether or not using chemical/biological weapons is such a good idea. Before deploying his WMDs, he's forced to ask himself if his hiding place is strong enough to survive a nuclear attack, and if he'd survive...He's a dictator and a murderer, but he's not stupid; if he thinks he'll get bit in the ass for using them, he's less likely to try and deploy them.

So you think if you guys had nuked Afghanistan,you'd have killed Osama?You don't even know where he is,for crying out loud.If Osama evaded you,so can Saddam.Fear for his own personal safety wouldn't stop him from calling your bluff with regard to nuclear weapons.
..UN inspectors are covering a small fraction of Iraq (and aren't even being allowed to perform airial recon to cover some of the gaps...

How many planes has he shot down?Same way those 33rd and 36th parallel things were done,so can you recon if you want.I'm not convinced America needs Saddam's cooperation to fly those high altitude spy planes and stuff over Iraq if necessary.
I said Saddam wants time to prepare his defenses, not build weapons...

Because you've threatened to war him.If he was doing it as part of a plan he always had,ten years is enough time.If he was unable to coz of sanctions and stuff,what has changed?And not just changed,changed so much so that war is now inevitable,and your president is talking as though nukes as the frisbees his dog plays with?
...so what is it we need them for?

Maybe to give you "evidence" of Saddams WMD program."Hey,we know what we're talking about.We're the ones who we're making them.UN inspectors will never find anything if they look for 100 years"

I haven't fixed the scratch in my CD.So:
War is not an option.Under whatever circumstances.

[Edited by kingdavid on 01-31-2003 at 02:11 AM]