View post (a moral dilemma)

View thread

Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/23/2003 1:13 am
Please don’t think that I am US bashing, I’m currently living here and I love the place. I also don’t trust the US media or government one bit! They will feed you manipulative propaganda until it comes out your ears. If you don’t believe me look at the adverts on your TV every night telling you Marijuana is a killer drug! The current government has openly admitted that it will lie through its teeth to anyone to get its way.

I can maybe see some parallels:

I have however read Amnesty's report on Iraq and it's littered with political assassinations (JFK ?) and torture of political opponents (may be not political opponents but how about the state sponsored murder of the mentally ill, feeding LSD to the mentally ill and administering electro-convulsive therapy whilst they are tripping! Ouch !), mass killings of innocent civilians (several spring to mind that involve the use of the military to shoot US students (Kent state in Ohio....)), war crimes (The US made a fuss about being exempt from war crime trials in Europe recently, why is that I wonder !), and virtually every earmark of a regime that should not be allowed to stay in power (were they voted in by a clear majority in the first place ? Is this a democracy?).

We need to be careful about dealing out judgment I think! I look back at the history of the UK, my home country and it is little better!

I would support this war if the whole UN council were behind it. I am also not aware of any financial dealing between Germany and Iraq or France and Iraq, who have just vetoed an invasion though I may be wrong in this assumption.

Even though, I don’t think that unilaterally or bilaterally, America or the UK should be able to make decisions about who gets to govern which country, as that is, when all is said and done just another form of despotism.

As far as solutions, well I don’t have any ! Ordinary people are going to be the ones to foot the bill whatever the outcome. If we invade Iraq we may well get rid of SH. On the other hand we may also play straight into the hands of Ussama Bed Linen, and that would be a very terrible thing!

My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS